1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Radial JDI vs. Markbass Super Pro DI

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by klcordero, Sep 24, 2009.

1. klcordero

klcordero

I'm looking for a DI to play in live situations. My set up is
    P-Bass > VT Bass Pedal > DI. I then split the DI signal to the board and to my amp. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Radial or Markbass DI's and could give me some advice.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Is the Markbass DI even out yet? Radial makes a great product and you can't go wrong with it. Have not heard the Markbass DI yet, but if it sounds like the one in my LMII, get the Radial.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Interesting.

[​IMG]

I wish they had put the In and Thru jacks on the back instead of the left side--that way the DI would snug up right next to another Markbass pedal and look really sharp and custom.

4. kickstand22

kickstand22

I use the Radial JDI on my rig. Clean and clear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JmJ

JmJ

I'm not sure if you are aware but the Mark bass DI is for active basses and the JDI is for passive basses.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Huh???

8. bongomania

Disclosures:
    You are mistaken.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it says right on the site that the JDI is a "passive direct box".

that means you have to play a passive bass through it:hyper:

10. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

umm... no... that means it's a passive DI, as opposed to Active. Active DI's require phantom power or an on board battery. Passive DI's do not. Has nothing to do with what you plug into them.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Greg, Walter was making a joke...don't worry, Walt...I got it ;)

Anyway, I've never really understood this business about passive DI's with active basses only/active DI's with passive basses only. People have tried to explain it to me, and I just sit there like this:

:meh: :eyebrow: :meh:

Mainly because it doesn't matter. Good sound is good sound no matter where or how you get it.

12. walterw

nothing like the internet to make a stupid joke come across as actual stupidity :atoz:

13. walterw

thanks!:D

i wouldn't say "only" of course, but an active bass wouldn't need an active box, while a passive box might still have a little loss if fed with a passive pickup signal (the box's transformer might load down the pickup, making the bass sound duller than it otherwise would be).

of course, one buffered pedal in line with the bass (like, say a boss TU-2 tuner), and the signal is "active" anyway.

14. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Correct, plus most (all?) passive DI boxes have a significant drop in signal level across their transformer, so if you have a passive bass with relatively low output, it will be way too low when using a passive DI.

15. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

16. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Looks to me like the biggest difference between the two is about $120! :eek:

The construction does appear to be somewhat beefier with the Radial. And FWIW Radial uses a Jensen transformer. Markbass uses "the world's finest", whatever that means (apparently not Jensen :meh:).

I'll be curious to see some user reports, especially with a direct comparison. If the Markbass holds up sonically, that price point ($80 vs $200) would make it awful tempting.

17. klcordero

klcordero

Yeah, the price on the Markbass is awful tempting. What I need to figure out is "Dollar for dollar, which is the better product?" I don't want to drop $200 on a DI if I can avoid it. Also, I know they both are designed to handle higher output. I'm using a VT Bass pedal which will boost my signal. That's why I was considering these two.

18. JmJ

JmJ

OK. I stand corrected. - slowly backs away from the thread -

19. JmJ

JmJ

From the Markbass website:
    The Mark Bass Super Pro Di Bass Guitar DI Box- Markbass has worked long and hard to design a state-of-the-art direct box that fully meets the needs of professional sound engineers. Phase distortion and harmonic distortion are most prevalent at lower frequencies, but through the Super Pro DI Box, the sound comes through clearly with smooth, transparent low end.

Designed for active basses. - fans the flames -

20. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Right--as noted, a passive bass is sometimes not suited to a passive DI like the Markbass. Or, for example, the JDI that you mentioned in the first post. ;) :D

21. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Peter Janis of Radial Engineering wrote an interesting article on this topic in issue #3 of BassGear magazine (page#102).

I've heard nothing but good things about Radial DIs. I ended up buying a Countryman Type 85 because I found one at a good price and I've been very pleased with its performance.