Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre vs. Fishman Platinum Pre

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by swmmojo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. swmmojo

swmmojo Supporting Member

Hi TB DB folks!

I'd like input from folks who have experience using both of these preamps.

Thanks!
  2. Adagio

Adagio

As you probably know, the PZ-Pre is worth more than the plat, and have a bunch of additional features too. That being said, I own a fishman plat pro and I must say it's really great for my EB, or to make my DB sound like an EB. Maybe other folks have better success with it, but if had to make that kind of choice again I'd jump on the PZ-Pre.
  3. chuck3

chuck3

I don't have experience with the Fishman, but I use the PZ-Pre at every gig. Great piece of gear. It's my upright bass preamp and I use the second channel for the (few) songs per gig that I play mando instead.

Lots of features for cutting feedback and EQing how you want. Good DI out. It goes to every gig, that's the best I can say about any piece of gear.
  4. longfinger

longfinger

5. moles

moles

I haven't owned the Pro-Plat, but I had a Fishman B-II for awhile. I found it a bit colder sounding than my PZ-Pre does.
    Those two new Radial things look interesting too (the PZ DI and the PZ Deluxe), especially if the tone quality is the same.
  6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Don't think the Platinum Pro will make your DB bass sound like an EB. It is more dependent of the pickup of you use. If you leave the EQ in the middle it is pretty neutral sounding I guess?

I guess if you don't need all the extras of the Radial the Platinum is just as good? (I have the Platinum and never heard the Radial).
  7. swmmojo

Thanks for the replies! Great info.

Does anyone have setup suggestions for the PZ-Pre with a FC? Since there is no peak light, do you have any PZ-Pre input level suggestions for the FC? Noon? 3? 9? I'm just curious how folks are running it in terms of input levels. (Please don't respond if you are going to say let your ears do the work. :crying:)

I'm been playing with the PZ-Pre and I am digging it. I do like the Fishman Plat Pre but the PZ-Pre is giving me more clarity. I have a gig tomorrow so that will be the true test.
  8. Barcza

Barcza

I used a borrowed PZ pre and FC with my Aguilar AG500/GS112 rig, the Preamp is amazing with the FC, the notch filter works perfect to kill feedback, and the paramectric mid works well to dial out the FC's harshness, without getting boomy or scooped sound. I can recomend the PZ pre with FC!
  9. neddyrow

neddyrow

i have used both and i prefer the radial over the fishman. the sound is a little "thin" when using the fishman. i cant seem to get the sound i want no matter what i try. also it seems a little bit more electric than natural if that makes any sense. personally, i just got a baggs venue di and i prefer that over both. the sounds of the venue and radial are similar but i like the features of the venue a little more. the boost and tuner are what sold me on it. and the venue works great on acoustic guitar really well. the bigger problem i have is fighting with my guitar player over who uses the baggs.
  10. Nate74

Nate74

I have both and prefer the Radial. That being said, my preference is based almost entirely on the added functionality of the Radial; in particular the mute button and the second channel. The preamp is clearly an important part of the signal chain, but so is your bass, strings, pickups, amp, cabinet, hands, ears, etc. So keep in mind that no one piece of gear will single-handedly morph your tone into something you love, or hate for that matter. Trust me, I've spent more on gear than I care to admit over the years.
  11. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    I know this thread is a bit cold, but has anyone used the PZ-pre for doubling with an acoustic bass and a bass guitar? I know that the Bassbone might be a better choice, I'm just curious.
  12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Jeremy,
    Radial builts great products, but if you're going to EQ both instruments I think you need two sets of tone controls, unless the Electric Bass has active circutry. I'm looking closely at the new Flex Preamp from Acoustic Image, which isn't out yet.

RIc
  13. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    That's exactly what my concern is.
  14. swmmojo

I'm using the PZ for doubling and it's been really great. I EQ for the DB and adjust the electric EQ on the bass to get the tone I want. I haven't pulled the Fishman out since I bought the PZ. It's killer.
  15. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Awesome. How tough was it to get your electric tone where you wanted it?
  16. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    New double bassist here... I have both the Fishman Plat Pro and the Radial PZ Pre. After going back & forth between them for a couple of months, I definitely prefer the PZ Pre. The Fishman sounds good, but does mask a little of the instruments character regardless of eq settings. The Radial just nails the acoustic tone better and has a more gig friendly feature set (variable notch, footswitchable mute). The only drawback of the Radial is the lack of phantom power ability & you have to use the ac adapter. Sounds amazing though!
  17. swmmojo

I use a MTD 635 and a Fender Jazz. They are very different sounding electric basses but I can adjust EQ on the instrument leaving the PZ EQ for the DB. I typically leave the amp EQ flat and DI everything from the PZ. I haven't used the Fishman at all. This mix of stuff works for me great.

I agree with Scotch, too. The Fishman does mask some of the instrument character making the PZ superior. Phantom would be awesome for the PZ as well.