Radically new concept of bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stainlesslav, Feb 6, 2013.

1. stainlesslav

stainlesslav

I’m an engineer who decided to become a Bass Designer on the side.

The bass guitar is my passion and hobby. I have a lot of fun channeling my effort into researching and creating my designs. I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who can play the bass (as I can design but I definitely still struggle to play well!)

Just recently I have introduced to the public my new, and rather progressive design of the bass. At the same time I’m conducting ongoing tests with a various players and collecting opinions from those with an open mind who are willing to try it out.

Here is the link (below) to check it out. I would love to hear some feedback and first impressions! Thanks – Stan

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Pretty cool. Probably not a big market for a 2" radius fingerboard, though.

3. carl h.

carl h.

That radius looks like it would mess up my left wrist going to the G string. There is a lot of wrist bending going on.

If that could be addressed I'd give it a shot - only if it is a 5 string though.

4. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

I really dig it. It is refreshing and progressive. It would take away all the arguments over the best woods for basses, and would bring a whole new way of thinking about the bass to the masses should the bass be largely distributed. Not to mention it would look cool in a sci-fi music video!;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I never saw an electric bass with lower radius like a DB. a reason for that ?

also the front shape isn't that far from whar we normally see. I like the aluminum construction like the Spalt Bass, a mix of aluminum and wood.

7. StingrayDerek

StingrayDerek Supporting Member

8. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Just curious. What is the reasoning behind a round fingerboard?

9. carl h.

carl h.

The radius is to accommodate playing with a bow. Most guitars don't have an issue with that.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Interesting design. Like all basses it will find a niche audience. I am not sure that the slippers would like it. I would give it a try.

11. stainlesslav

stainlesslav

Thank you,
    The radius is 1.5". It is quite comfortable to play.

12. stainlesslav

stainlesslav

13. 8liter

8liter Supporting Member

Wow, that looks cool. I love the body shape. I'd give on a try in a heartbeat.

14. Tupac

Tupac

I'd imagine your right hand would cramp from twiddling right next to your thumb for long. Needs bigger spacing.

15. IPYF

IPYF

I like it; I think it's really inventive and sounds very good for a steel instrument. Great job trying something completely different.

One thing that struck me though is that it doesn't look like a comfortable lap instrument. Since I do most of my playing sitting down I get the feeling that regardless of the light weight any more than 30 mins with that bottom edge digging into my thigh would be a bit much for me. Why not invent a contoured cushion or detachable plastic rest for the bottom edge of the instrument?

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  17. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

And it would finally put to rest the age-old question..... What's the best bass for metal? Because it IS metal! (That's kind of an inside joke around here and not meant to offend you or your design at all.)

Cool design. Got to listen with ear buds and I even like the tone. Best of luck with it.

19. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Excellent concept. Your on your way man!

20. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It is certainly a beautiful, well made instrument. It sounds fine too but the appearance is unique while the sound is unremarkable in that it is just another point somewhere in the middle of the bass guitar sonic spectrum. I doubt that it could be priced at a point where I could be convinced to buy one. Assuming that it was somehow I do have major concerns over the fingerboard. There is nothing comparable that I could try to see if it would work for me. It is necessary but not sufficient to hear that other bassists find it comfortable. I would have to have one to play for a few weeks before I would be convinced that it would work for me.

Ken

21. exidor

exidor

Thanks but no thanks.but what do I know.