Radio stations coming thru my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sleevey55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Why in the heck am I hearing the local radio stations through my setup? Its very faint but I can hear one of our local FM stations when I turn my amp on and plug my bass in. I know the mushrooms on my pizza tonite were ok sooooo???
  2. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

i don't know, but i have experienced the same thing.

when my son plays either his THD or his acoustic B450 at home, no problem.

but when he goes to practice with his band, and we use the THD for a pre-amp, the radio station comes thru big time. when he just plays through the acoustic, again, no problem.

i am not sure why this happens, but i bet if you played at a different location, it would not happen...there just seems to be a radio tower close by the house where he practices and something in the THD's circuitry allows this.

[​IMG]
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Combination of inadequate shielding somewhere in the signal chain and being too close to a transmitter.
  4. WingKL

WingKL

Try using a short patch cable, a different instrument cable or even your wireless to see if that helps. If it does, it means your cable is not well shielded.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

ping.....lightbulb moment
    OK, I've had that happen to me a few times...I was using my Markbass combo and it was placed just a foot or so away from the wall where the plug in for internet and TV was.....when I moved the amp to the other side of the room....no more radio station coming through.....but I never really thought about it until the word "cable" on the last entry......"ping"
  7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

+1. When I was a teenager in the 70's we rehearsed in a studio with a Roland Studio bass amp that had a multi-band EQ, and you could 'tune' to different stations by changing the EQ settings.
  8. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

I'm also a DJ and my DJ set up at home does sometimes pick up a local station thru my amp. It's been like that since I started 20 years ago. Never could explain it. Had like a cb radio sound. haven't had that issue with my bass amp yet.
  9. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

It just happened to my guitar player last Wednesday. He picked up my roommates Pandora feed through his triple rec. We just shrugged it off.
  10. bassboysam

bassboysam

Do you hear the radio when the bass is not plugged in? if not, then its not the amp but poor shielding in your bass and/or cable. if you are close to a transmitter there is not much you can do.
  11. dincz

dincz

Corroded contacts can cause this. The corroded contact point acts like the detector diode in a crystal receiver.

I remember a trainee in a TV studio who was given the job of cleaning the contacts on some plug-in audio line amps. He used sandpaper on the gold-plated contacts and some months down the track we were getting the local AM station leaking into the audio.
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

I usually wait for a familiar song to come along and play along with it.
  13. chadds

chadds

If its better than you or your band, why complain?
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Typical causes are a loose ground connection in your input signal path, possibly including dodgy solder joints at the input jack to the amp.
  15. BAce

BAce

If you are using a tube pre or an all tube amp, the lack of a grid resistor on the first stage can cause this too. Well not so much cause this but allow this. 68k resistor between the tip of the input jack and the grid of the first triode and yer done.
  16. Astreaux

Astreaux

+1
  17. sleevey55

I'll try a few of your suggestions and see what happens. Will let ya know!! Thanks!!
  18. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Same here. Caught the hockey game through my rig a couple of nights ago. Habs won.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It is a capicitor used in major manufacturing. If they manufacture them so they don't get the frequency in your area it will in someone else's area.

I had a guitar player that used to get radio through his amp, reading on Dunlop's website about their wah's they mentioned how in certain areas they pick up radio due to this reason. I imagine it is the same in your case.
  20. sleevey55

It was my instrument cable!!!! Changed it and nothing...........put the old one back on and I heard the radio again. Thanks all!!!!
  21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I once had an amp that was "haunted" by The Rush Limbaugh Show. Naturally I had no choice but to burn that amp. :ninja:

MM