1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Radius help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Scioto, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Scioto

Scioto

Hey, guys. I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, however, I still want to ask...
    So, I have shortish fingers, and on some thicker necks have trouble playing well on the E string when I have to stretch when I'm playing lower on the fretboard. I have two basses that are available to me, one being a 12" radius and the other being a 9.5". Would the 9.5" neck be more comfortable for me to play? Is there a simple pro/con list to both? I'd appreciate any help I could get on this matter.

2. fearceol

fearceol

IMO the best thing to do is go to your local music store and try basses with 9.5 and 12 inch necks. There is no simple pro/con criteria. It is a matter of personal preference.

Perhaps your technique could also be part of the problem/solution ?

3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

I'm going to go ahead and say your technique may be the problem[​IMG]
    It's not the size that matters it's how you use it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Radius impacts feel and string bending but doesn't have much to do with reach in my experience. That's nut width.

7. pfox14

pfox14

You own basses with both radii, which one is more comfortable for you? Can't tell you what would work for you, since I'm not you.

8. Wagz

Wagz

Nut and bridge width. You'd want a narrower nut and a relatively narrow bridge if you want a tighter string spacing.
    Some bridges are adjustable for string spacing like the Schaller 2000 or the old Fender bridges with threaded saddles.