RAGS TO RICHES BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassil, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Bassil

Bassil

Alright folks,
    Lets see those basses that most of us would normally walk right on by due to their lack of good components or build quality.
    I am talking about bargain basement axes that you have totally rehabbed into something rather cool and for sure worth playing.
    If we can keep it at under $375.00 total investment...it should make for some fun, if not interesting fodder.
    I will start with my Silvertone Revolver that I bought for $65.
    I replaced EVERYTHING except the body and neck! I started with some Gotoh gb707 tuners, roller string tree and a bone nut. For the sounds, I went with Bartolini p bass pu's, CTS solid shaft pots, a switchcraft input jack, and an orange drop 0.47 cap.
    The bridge duties are handled by a Gotoh 201 that matches nicely with the tuners. I already had the pickguard, which is a Fender antique pearl 13 hole that fit fine. It just needed the screw holes put where they needed to be.
    Some d'addario medium strings and a set of Dunlop dual design strap locks finish things off.
    My main reason for the build was that I always liked the headstock design on these. It reminds me of my old Modulus VJ4 that I used to have. As a matter of fact...every component that was put on here is the exact type that was on the Modulus! The two main differences are a p bass pu instead of 2 jazz pi's, and of course, no graphite neck.
    Let me tell you that this bass is freakin killer!!! No it is not a Modulus, but for $2200 less....i am OK with it. It comes in at 8 lbs. 6 oz and has the neck profile and width of a Jazz bass with everything sounding nice and Pbass chewy.
    I hope to see some more piggies with lipstick
    Here are a few pics......

Attached Files:

2. Bassil

Bassil

A couple more...

Attached Files:

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I picked up an OLP Stingray copy that was in pretty rough shape for $75. The paint had many bad spots and there were several stickers on it as well. One of the tuners had been replaced with a smaller mismatched tuner too. I striped it and refinished it with auto paint and repainted the pickguard from white to black. I also put in a new GFS MM Pro humbucker and all new CTS pots and an orange drop capacitor plus a series/parallel switch. I also replaced the mismatched tuner. Probably have about $120 in it total. It is a very ballsy sounding bass that plays great!

[​IMG]

4. Bassil

Bassil

The neck also had a nice grain on it

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassil

Bassil

Very nice gjbassist! :bassist:

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

So, a couple weeks ago I bought a set of EMG pickups for P Bass here on the forum for $35. I didn't know what I was gonna put them in, but it was a great deal, so I bought them and figured I'd use them sooner or later. Fast forward to yesterday....

I had a few extra bucks, and Squier Affinity came up on CL for $50. I figured "what the heck ?", since it was one of the alder bodied ones. It was a bit beat up, and I'd need to change the tuners, but thought I could come up with a good gigging bass for cheap....so I bought it.

Well, then last night another Squier bass came up on CL for $65. Normally I wouldn't have bothered, but it was a 1994 MIK one (which have great necks, but plywood bodies), but the kicker is that a previous owner had changed the tuners to GOTOH VINTAGE STYLE REVERSE WIND tuners !!! So I went down this morning and bought it.

My thought was that I could make a really nice bass by combining these two basses...neck and tuners from the MIK, and the alder body from the newer one....plus the EMG pickups, and top it off with a black pickguard I had lying around.

Well, a little "massaging", and it all went together great ! Now I have one great, inexpensive gigging bass with top notch pickups, tuners, alder body, and a great feeling neck. And I'm gonna put together the parts from the other one and list the other bass on CL for $65, to recover some cost...should sel fast !!!

So total cost will be ...

BASS: $50
    EMG PICKUPS: $35
    GOTOH VINTAGE TUNERS: FREE
    PICKGUARD: FREE

Yep, about $85 into it. I guess about $100 if you count the $15 I got the pickguard for a long time ago....

Sounds fantastic and plays great too !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=========================================

And the remaining parts that I'll reassemble into a bass and sell !

=========================================

[​IMG]

8. Bassil

Bassil

AWESOME...keep em coming

Here is a before shot of my Silvertone

Attached Files:

9. aquamentus

aquamentus Supporting Member

10. Bassil

Bassil

11. Bassil

Bassil

I finally can do a big pic :hyper:[​IMG]

12. Bassil

Bassil

13. Bassil

Bassil

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

2010 Squier Affinity P-bass
    [​IMG]

Stuck a 96 Fender MIM P-bass neck on it
    [​IMG]

Slapped a MIJ Pickguard, P-up cover, Tele knobs, a SD 1/4 Pounder & CTS pots in it. Relocated the bridge so that the strings were lined up correctly.
    [​IMG]

Stuck a Spector Tonepump pre-amp in it
    [​IMG]

Drilled a 4th hole in the pickguard & routed a control cavity in the back to allow for the tonepump & battery. Changed the knobs to Spector knobs to fit the smaller pots for the new pre-amp. Took off the p-up cover.
    [​IMG]

There's more to come, too. It's getting a new bridge with no saddle walk & a Hipshot Xtender in the near future. :)

I must add, this bass is BALLSY! Easily the best sounding P I've owned. It's clear, defined & growls like a mofo!

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

I like the headstock, SX should have gone with this design.
    Kinda reminds me of a Gibson Victory.

16. Bassil

Bassil

The neck looked really nice too

[​IMG]

17. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I don't have a bass that qualifies, but the Zombiecaster is a 1985 Squier Bullet that I got in baggies for $65. It now has a pair of Lace Alumatone pickups and a P-Rail at the bridge, vintage frets, a new nut, and a sparkly green rattle can finish. I spent money that I'll never get back on it, but I don't care, because it is the only Zombiecaster on the planet, and it's probaby one of about a dozen remaining Contemporary Bullet HSTs. It looks like a Tele, more or less, with a Strat headstock, Strat trem and pickups, and a very pointy bottom cutout, like an ES175. It's a stack of luan veneers that resonate for about a month if you let them. It is a thoroughly weird guitar, and I love it.

18. Bassil

Bassil

Love to see it, is it in another thread so we can take a peeky?

19. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I've had a couple project Squier Deluxe Active J basses that came out a bit above the limit, but I think this one was under...

SDAJV - $75 used
    Sadowsky Pickups used - $100
    OBP-3 used - $100
    Ken Smith Strings - $30
    Hipshot string tree - $10
    Knobs, pots and PG were spares lying around.
    Wired VVT with active/passive, series/parallel, and mid shift switching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a Sadowsky Metro and I liked this bass better, no lie.

20. Bassil

Bassil

Very nice mods on that one! So now we have a poor man's Modulus and a poor man's Sadowski.....Thats what I'm talking about!! :)

21. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I bought this olp for $100, the neck was straight and the body was basswood. Everything else had to go. I routed out the second pup hole , painted it, made it a string through. Put baseline pups in it, new electronics, fender American high mass bridge. Made it bead and a bunch of other stuff.