1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Raise your hand if you are also a drummer.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I guess it is time to come out of the closet. I also play drums. I actually started on drums and migrated to bass. But drums are too fun to ever give up.
    Any other bassists/drummers out here?

2. Mybikeisblack

Mybikeisblack

I would have loved to learn. I did start out on them when I was a child but I never got any where other than a simple boom boom clap beat.

3. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

oh yay I'm in the sticks now....

4. heb9_28

heb9_28

...I play the cajon. Does that count? I love it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

I used to be a really good drummer. The band I was in opened for UFO and April Wine in 1980, Omaha Ne.

Then my then wife insisted I pick, family or band. I picked family, sold my stuff and never touched a drumstick until my son (I raised after divorce) turned 12 and had the gift. He is 30 now and gigs regularly with three bands.

I considered starting again but broke everything below my knees in an accident at work. Thirty surgeries later, bass seemed natural since I had one in 1975 for awhile.

I'm still WAY better at drums, but won't be as soon as one of these is lopped off.:D

7. Scott1

Scott1 Supporting Member

I played drums for 40 years before a failed surgery for metacarpol problems stopped me from playing.

I can play bass with my wrist braces on, though I had to adjust my playing position to accommodate the odd angle my left thumb is now in.
    Since I learned to play that way from the beginning, it hasn't held me back much; no slapping, but I personally don't care for it, so no real loss to me. :ninja:

8. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

I just bought a set of drums to learn on from Craigslist. It's quite a humbling experience to know great drum beats in your head but have no idea how to play them!

9. wrench45us

wrench45us

I played drums from age 10 on.

With drums I can play what I hear in my head.
    I have never been able to do that with any other instrument I've taken up since.
    Does not stop me from trying, however.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I second that, only I hear great bass lines.. and cant play them..

:bag:

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

In my head, I am Tomas Haake. In reality, I am Peter Criss.

12. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I wonder, is there a talkbass for drummers? Talk-drums?
    Gettign back into playing drums again after a 10 year hiatus (it's hard to have a place to keep drums!).
    Trying to educate myself about brands and stuff. A lot has changed in the last couple decades.
    Seems like all of the brands are made in China now and some drummers actually LIKE Paiste?

13. BrBss

BrBss

I own a drum set, and I enjoy hitting it with sticks, but I wouldn't call myself a drummer by any means.

14. dalahorse

dalahorse

I took up the drums at age 12 and still play them 24 years later.

15. FrednBass

FrednBass

My father is a drummer (a great one, by the way!), so i know a thing or two about the instrument...

16. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket

Been drumming for the last 39 years. Man it sure got my right hand together. I totally get Jaco's right hand because of it.

17. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I am not a drummer proper. I did learn the fundamentals of drums and can play some straightforward, basics 4/4 beats on an actual drum set at slow to moderate tempos.

But I didn't learn with the intent of being a drummer, just to understand that role better, as well as understand how to program better drum beats when I record.

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've never been a drummer in a band, but I've always had the bandroom at my house over the years, and I also have a home studio.

It just made sense pretty early on to learn how to play, so I practiced on my drummer's kit between practices, mostly to learn what can actually be played by a real drummer so I could properly program a drum machine for recording.

Somewhere along the line I got pretty good at it. And it definitely effected my basslines.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Played drums for 15 years before picking up a bass. Now I must admit, I've neglected the tubs for quite awhile. I'm just having too much fun with the bass and I want to get good at it. Drums haven't been interesting me so much these days. :bassist:

20. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I also started on drums (about 7 years ago). Was actively gigging in working bands after about 2 years. Then started learning bass about 3 years (?) ago.

I guess I should really say I started on trombone when I was about 10 and played that in school bands up until I got out of college. Then played nothing for almost 20 years. :(

21. bolophonic

bolophonic

I found a Tama Swingstar set in a dumpster a few years ago in excellent condition. I refurbed it and started a band with me as the drummer. It was total low-I.Q. punk and I loved it. I recently made some cymbal upgrades and started working to improve my technique.