1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Raise your hand if you are also a drummer.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I guess it is time to come out of the closet. I also play drums. I actually started on drums and migrated to bass. But drums are too fun to ever give up.
    Any other bassists/drummers out here?
  2. Mybikeisblack

Mybikeisblack

I would have loved to learn. I did start out on them when I was a child but I never got any where other than a simple boom boom clap beat.
  3. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

oh yay I'm in the sticks now....
  4. heb9_28

heb9_28

...I play the cajon. Does that count? I love it.
  5. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I used to be a really good drummer. The band I was in opened for UFO and April Wine in 1980, Omaha Ne.

Then my then wife insisted I pick, family or band. I picked family, sold my stuff and never touched a drumstick until my son (I raised after divorce) turned 12 and had the gift. He is 30 now and gigs regularly with three bands.

I considered starting again but broke everything below my knees in an accident at work. Thirty surgeries later, bass seemed natural since I had one in 1975 for awhile.

I'm still WAY better at drums, but won't be as soon as one of these is lopped off.:D
  6. Scott1

Scott1 Supporting Member

I played drums for 40 years before a failed surgery for metacarpol problems stopped me from playing.

I can play bass with my wrist braces on, though I had to adjust my playing position to accommodate the odd angle my left thumb is now in.
    Since I learned to play that way from the beginning, it hasn't held me back much; no slapping, but I personally don't care for it, so no real loss to me. :ninja:
  7. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

I just bought a set of drums to learn on from Craigslist. It's quite a humbling experience to know great drum beats in your head but have no idea how to play them!
  8. wrench45us

wrench45us

I played drums from age 10 on.

With drums I can play what I hear in my head.
    I have never been able to do that with any other instrument I've taken up since.
    Does not stop me from trying, however.
  9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Supporting Member

I second that, only I hear great bass lines.. and cant play them..

:bag:
  10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

In my head, I am Tomas Haake. In reality, I am Peter Criss.
  11. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I wonder, is there a talkbass for drummers? Talk-drums?
    Gettign back into playing drums again after a 10 year hiatus (it's hard to have a place to keep drums!).
    Trying to educate myself about brands and stuff. A lot has changed in the last couple decades.
    Seems like all of the brands are made in China now and some drummers actually LIKE Paiste?
  12. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

I own a drum set, and I enjoy hitting it with sticks, but I wouldn't call myself a drummer by any means.
  13. dalahorse

dalahorse

I took up the drums at age 12 and still play them 24 years later.
  14. FrednBass

FrednBass

My father is a drummer (a great one, by the way!), so i know a thing or two about the instrument...
  15. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket Supporting Member

Been drumming for the last 39 years. Man it sure got my right hand together. I totally get Jaco's right hand because of it.
  16. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I am not a drummer proper. I did learn the fundamentals of drums and can play some straightforward, basics 4/4 beats on an actual drum set at slow to moderate tempos.

But I didn't learn with the intent of being a drummer, just to understand that role better, as well as understand how to program better drum beats when I record.
  17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've never been a drummer in a band, but I've always had the bandroom at my house over the years, and I also have a home studio.

It just made sense pretty early on to learn how to play, so I practiced on my drummer's kit between practices, mostly to learn what can actually be played by a real drummer so I could properly program a drum machine for recording.

Somewhere along the line I got pretty good at it. And it definitely effected my basslines.
  18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Played drums for 15 years before picking up a bass. Now I must admit, I've neglected the tubs for quite awhile. I'm just having too much fun with the bass and I want to get good at it. Drums haven't been interesting me so much these days. :bassist:
  19. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I also started on drums (about 7 years ago). Was actively gigging in working bands after about 2 years. Then started learning bass about 3 years (?) ago.

I guess I should really say I started on trombone when I was about 10 and played that in school bands up until I got out of college. Then played nothing for almost 20 years. :(
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic

I found a Tama Swingstar set in a dumpster a few years ago in excellent condition. I refurbed it and started a band with me as the drummer. It was total low-I.Q. punk and I loved it. I recently made some cymbal upgrades and started working to improve my technique.