1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Raising impedance for active basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Ok so I hardly understand this.

I have two pedals that don't react to well with low impedance active basses. I have done some research but vaguely understand it.

Apparently if I raise the impedance before it hits the efforts, it would correct this issue.

Two ways I heard of doing this is using a super hard on (clone) or a radial dragster.

Now am I understanding this correctly? Is all this doing is just acting as a volume knob?

Supposedly the SHO is some kinda extremely high impedance blah blah.
    I'd rather it over the radial dragster bevause I could turn it off to use with passive basses. Or would it be ok to use a permanent impedance raiser........ On both passive and active

Or am I going at this all wrong?

2. Skrogh

Skrogh

I think you are going about it wrong. The sho has a hi-z input and a low-z output. This would make a passive bass behave as an acive, not the other way arround.
    Tve simplest way to do this would be a box with a reskstor in it. Something in the 10k-100k would work. If you want to buy a finished solution I have seen "passifier" boxes containging an inducter and a resistor, mimicing the picup and impediance of a passive bass.

3. Tony Flow MMMM

So I could just wire in a resistor with a bypass in a pedal, I'd rather a variable resistor (aka volume pot?)

So basically I can just put my LPB (which does cut also) infront of it?

4. gdavis

gdavis

a volume pot would be wired between the signal and ground wires, to increase the impedance you would put the pot in series with the signal wired as a variable resistor. Two different things.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
  7. Tony Flow MMMM

Sweet I used my LPB-1 today and after finding the correct setting measured and its at 4k ohms. And it sounds soo good!