1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Raising impedance for active basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Ok so I hardly understand this.

I have two pedals that don't react to well with low impedance active basses. I have done some research but vaguely understand it.

Apparently if I raise the impedance before it hits the efforts, it would correct this issue.

Two ways I heard of doing this is using a super hard on (clone) or a radial dragster.

Now am I understanding this correctly? Is all this doing is just acting as a volume knob?

Supposedly the SHO is some kinda extremely high impedance blah blah.
    I'd rather it over the radial dragster bevause I could turn it off to use with passive basses. Or would it be ok to use a permanent impedance raiser........ On both passive and active

Or am I going at this all wrong?
  2. Skrogh

Skrogh

I think you are going about it wrong. The sho has a hi-z input and a low-z output. This would make a passive bass behave as an acive, not the other way arround.
    Tve simplest way to do this would be a box with a reskstor in it. Something in the 10k-100k would work. If you want to buy a finished solution I have seen "passifier" boxes containging an inducter and a resistor, mimicing the picup and impediance of a passive bass.
  3. Tony Flow MMMM

So I could just wire in a resistor with a bypass in a pedal, I'd rather a variable resistor (aka volume pot?)

So basically I can just put my LPB (which does cut also) infront of it?
  4. gdavis

gdavis

a volume pot would be wired between the signal and ground wires, to increase the impedance you would put the pot in series with the signal wired as a variable resistor. Two different things.
  5. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

Sweet I used my LPB-1 today and after finding the correct setting measured and its at 4k ohms. And it sounds soo good!