Raising Large Speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by moten33, Nov 29, 2012.

1. moten33

moten33

Hey all,

My band had been using Behringer 2x15 mains and just bought a few old Carvin 942s. They are probably a little over 3 feet tall, 2 and a half feet wide and weigh approximately 90 pounds. They do not have pole mounts. We had this same issue with the Behringers. Is there any way to effectively get them up off the floor? A tilt back amp stand maybe? We're adding some subs as well and thsoe would be on the floor but unsure what to do with large mains like that.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Before I bought the TL505 bottom bins to (incorrectly ;)) raise my top boxes back in the day, we fabricated two road cases with the drummer for the cabs to sit on.

It wasn't much, about 45cm/1.5', but it made a considerable improvement to the projection.
    Not to mention their double duty as road cases.

Regards
    Sam

3. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

ummm not without stacking them on something...

4. pflash4001

pflash4001

I would NOT under any circumstances raise anything bigger than a 15 inch 2 way on a speaker stand. That's too tall and asking for an accident. If that thing topples on your audience you're screwed. That's a hell of a lawsuit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I bought a secondhand pair of Quik-Lok folding stands which can be used as mixer, keyboard, or speaker stands. The 4 legs are telescopic and "octopus-like" so they can be moved in or out to provide optimal support for the given load. Very stable if set-up correctly. Mine are actually too wide even when minimized to accommodate the narrower 2 X 15 footprint. I need to build some type of stiffening support shelf to lay on top.

Edit: this is what I have http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=512&sName=WS-650

Riis

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This is actually a great idea. I've been looking for a way to raise my Carvin 2153's, and this will do just fine.

8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

What size venues are you playing? When you add the subs, I'd be looking to sell the heavy mains, and get smaller pole-mountable tops.

9. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have the same thing. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

now you know why 2x15 tops are mostly a bad idea for bar PAs.

you can't get them high enough for the horns to cover the room unless you stack them on something heavy (like subs, at which point the bottom 15 of the 2x15 becomes pointless).

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Nice! I can use this for my Crazy88 and small tube amp. Perfect boost height.

14. ggunn

ggunn

I like the spring loaded cab stands. You set the cab on it and release the spring, and the cab elevates and lowers nearly effortlessly. Just don't release the spring with no cab mounted!

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I checked this out at Home Depot and cannot recommend it as a speaker stand. It's too wobbly. Maybe it would suffice for a backline item, but it's a disaster in waiting for FOH cabinets. A simple bump would topple it over. Also, it's kind of awkward to carry as it is quite wide when folded. Wouldn't work at all on a small carry cart so you'd have to lug it with one arm. Pass.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the review & warning. A similar problem occurs with Quick Lok stands pic'd in post #9...position the legs inward to lessen the footprint and/or provide addt'l support for the enclosure and you may have a recipe for disaster if located in a vulnerable high-traffic area.

Riis

17. ggunn

ggunn

Any design with squares instead of triangles is going to be less stable.

18. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

I think aluminum scaffolding is a good, albeit expensive solution. I like to put my subs together in front, or off to the side that the bass amp is not on.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

again, once you have those subs, the bottom 15 of the 2x15 top cab becomes pointless; might as well ditch 'em for some single 15 (or whatever) top boxes, which will go right up over the crowd's heads on stands like they're supposed to.

20. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

+1 (this was my point above, as well).

Big 2x15 mains are marketed to carry *some* low-end authority in sub-less systems. Once you're running subs, the system will be crossed over in the neighborhood of 100 Hz; freed from the need to carry low end, the mains can be *much* smaller boxes.

21. moten33

moten33

The Carvins are a single 15 with a large horn. It is huge because it is old but they sound great and are in good condition. I was going to sell the Behringers, use the Carvins as our mains until my next upgrade and get subs to go with the Carvins then start looking for new tops. I upgrade piece by piece as I find deals and such.