Ramp for Warwick Thumb Bolt-On

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by melodiaopus, Feb 25, 2013.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

I have a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 4 string that I would like to install a ramp on. I want it in between the two pickups, and I was hoping to have it made out of ebony. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Ebay, sanding block and a bandsaw. Or have someone build it for you. Just understand how expensive Ebony is.

3. melodiaopus

Okay, maybe ebony. Anyone have any idea as to who might make one for me?

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

What is the body made of? Bubinga?

A more practical/affordable option might be to use a piece of wood to match the body, with an ebony layer maybe 1/8"-1/4" thick on top.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Big B.

Big B.

If I remember correctly the thumb bolt on is ovangkol, also called amazaque or shedua. Often a bit more affordable than bubinga but not quite as easy to find due to lower demand.

7. CosmoReverb

CosmoReverb

Apologize for my lack of familiarity with the subject, but I'm just curious how useful a ramp is in that position. As I understand the idea behind ramps, won't the tension from the proximity to the bridge mitigate the usefulness of the ramp or is that not really an issue?

8. melodiaopus

Yeah, the body is Ovankol and the fretboard is Bubinga. Anyone want to make me one? I will pay for the materials and labor. I don't necessarily need a matching wood block. Maybe just a nice to match the pickups.

9. melodiaopus

No one wants to partake in making a ramp for my Warwick Thumb Bolt On. I'll pay for everything. Maybe give some ideas as to who would want to make a ramp for me.

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

The rules of this forum are such that people who would contract with you to do it are not actually allowed to say so. Per the rules, it is incumbent upon you to find a luthier and contact him/her directly and privately.

11. ejmy

ejmy

I've made 2 with dark walnut that I bought at an exotic wood retailer. They always have a huge box close to the check out counter filled with small leftovers of different woods. Went thru the entire box hoping to find a piece of ebony without luck, but the walnut is just as nice and did a great job. Think I paid $1 or $2 for a few pieces. Still have some for my next basses.

12. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Just make it buy some pinewood, it's easy to work with and make a few practice ones. Here's an instructional vid on how to build one from the inventor of ramps himself... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dKffNbWXRfQ