Ramp on my Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Hi guys, just had a Wenge ramp recently built and installed on my 1990 Warwick Streamer Stage I, loving the feel of this thing and not digging in as much with it, so getting a generally smoother tone with also a bit more fluidity in the right hand with my fingers not going so much under the strings..

It's not permanently fixed, as who knows how I'll feel about it in the future, but for now really enjoying the addition!

Who else is sporting a ramp on their bass?

Here is a clip of latest video with her, will upload some decent quality pictures if anyone is interested :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwD_2IynJM

2. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

First of all, nice playing!

I just had a ramp made for my Ken Smith as an experiment. I was curious to see if it made a difference with speed and technique. In my case, I don't think it will help that much since I already play softly and I don't keep my thumb anchored on the pickup all the time. It looks nice though. It's made of rosewood and matches the pau ferro fingerboard.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Cool! You'll have to post some pictures as I love Ken Smiths :)

4. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Who's making custom ramps? I'd like to get my hands on one

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

I got mine built and installed by a Luthier here in Bristol, England, his name is Tom Waghorn and he is know for building Waghorn Guitars, the whole thing cost me only £60, you have several choices of wood, in this case Wenge worked quite well because of the fingerboard!

Just find out where your nearest guitar luthier is, and most likely they will be able to build and fit a ramp to your bass!

7. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

I made my own ramp, it aint rocketscience People! It's Just a piece of wood;) on my warwick Corvette 4 (active) i think it looks and changes my sound in an awesome way! I used oak from a board i found, no need for me to pay 200 300 for something so easy to create;)

8. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

Here it is
    Damn.. cant upload Photos..

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

I would, but am useless at DIY, and even just fixing/adjusting things in general, i pay to have my basses setup! (like half of us out there) but was happy with the price of £60 for build and installation! :)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Getting it properly radiused can be tricky if you don't have the proper tools- it's worth paying for to have it done right ($200-$300 is far more than I'd pay though).

11. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

60? Woa thats a way better price then i've seen around the net.. gfy:) i see.. i love working on my basses by myself, i use professionals as a last resort, when the elec. Are beyond repair (or im unable to with my current skills) plus.. when i need to make only a slight adjustment, i am able to:) i suggest anyone to learn some DIY skills

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

I agree! It's definitely good to, and saves you a hell of a lot of money overall, I just don't trust myself with it at the moment, definitely going to start researching about doing all that sort of stuff myself though as yes it's very handy!

13. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

This is the first I've heard of a ramp. I've seen them on basses in pictures and now I know what they are. Thanks.

14. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Haha! you're welcome.

The first time i saw & heard of them was Gary Willis, yeeeears back, and then started seeing players like Matthew Garrison, Janek Gwizdala, Richard Bona, and Hadrien Feraud with them, and being a handful of my favourite players, i decided to see what the fuss was about, and glad i gave it a go! :)

15. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

You can make your own ramp, buy the radius block from stew mac and a decent piece of wood and you're good to go.

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah, I think in the future I'm going to build and install my next ramp, and go for the Ebony wood, as that was my original choice but a bit more expensive than the Wenge wood.

17. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Whats funny is in the video you look to be playing over the bridge pickup not the ramp

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

It looks that way yes because of camera angle. But I'm actually playing half off the bridge pickup and half off the ramp :)

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    So is your ramp not radiused?

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Sorry, what do you mean by radiused Bryan?

21. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    The top of the ramp is supposed to have a radius to match your fingerboard radius. It takes away a huge portion of what a ramp is supposed to do if you have a flat block of wood instead of a radiused block of wood.
    It should look like this:
    [​IMG]