Random Musician Startup Jams?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

(This could maybe be moved to the stories section)

How many of you have gone to auditions where the singer has invited random musicians to form their band? Random, being different styles, influences, skill levels, instruments, whatnot.

I recently attended my second random start up jam. I showed up and there was a keyboard player, 2 guitarists (one tuned standard, the other drop C), and a guitarist/bassist, and me on Bass. The singer/organizer then told us that it was his plan to write original songs, and become famous. One person was telling others to play things an octave lower, then a 'half-octave' lower then just a half step lower. And in my opinion he didn't know the difference between the 3. There was a cool jam where the keyboardist was playing something he wrote and my and the other guitarist were able to pick up what we was doing as he called out his chords.

The time this happened before everyone was at least into the same types of music. I actually found my drummer that way.

It just seems to turn into a train wreck. Then after the dust settles the more like-minded people get together and go their seperate ways. I'm in a good mid-point as far as my skill goes. I would expect to find as many less skilled players as much as I would expect to find player with more knowledge than I have.

Any other stories?

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: When I first started (60s) I'd play with anyone willing to play. for this to belong here, from a band hunting point of view, next time just ask more questions beforehand. Cheers :)

3. Winfred

Winfred

It is always a train wreck, but as you mentioned, you can sometimes find other like-minded players with some skill. That's about the only positive to "jam auditions".

The problem with the concept is this: most talented and mature players are already in bands. They have no reason to go jam, when they can be out making money.

Not trying to completely shoot down the idea though. Like I said, sometimes you meet some good players, that are also nice people to work with.

4. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

I agree that you can sometimes find people this way. As I said I found my drummer this way. Both times, it was a surprise, orchestraterd by a singer, and we continued on without said singer. When they tell me who they have in their band, I assume that means that they have worked together before and have some common material that they are all familiar with.

I guess I should start asking "How long has your band been together?"

Just seems weird to me and was wondering how common it is.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh I suppose something similar has probably happens with nearly just about everyone at some point - but I bet it won't happen as easily next time for you. Stick around on the TB BM forum and checkout some threads.

7. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Band Management is one of my favorite sub-forums. There's a lot of good stuff on here. Thanks for your stories and thoughts guys.

8. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

I went to an audition like that. Originals. They sent me 3 tracks without bass. When I got there it was a guitarist/vocalist, lead guitar, drummer, keyboardist and me.

Lead Guitar, drummer and I were blowins.

We played the 3 songs, and I had a killer bass line for the 3rd song. We jammed it twice and the lead guitarist nailed the solo. It was a great song.

When we were done, the keyboardist says "OK, that's a wrap". Turns OFF the recorder we didn't know was on, says to the guir/vox yeah we can use that last one. Thanked us for our time, showed us the door and we never heard back :O

9. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

That's funny. The last one I went to the guy did the same thing. Just casually threw in the fact that we were being recorded the whole time. After the fact. I think I would have preferred having something to work on before hand.

But still, as awkward as it was, I might do it again. I'd just have the same mind set as one would need before going to see a bad sci-fi movie.