Randy Meisners tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 4bassjohn, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 4bassjohn

4bassjohn

Anybody know what strings Randy Meisner used?
  2. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

On the Hotel California concert DVD they look and sound like flats.

Dunno what brand, though.

Great tone, great player, great singer. My hero.
  3. hotbass57

hotbass57

+1 on the flats. Yes great player!
  4. 4bassjohn

4bassjohn

I've always felt that that the eagles sound lost something after he left. No disrespect to Tim Schmidt though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. duff84

duff84

one of my favorites as well, i agree 4bassjohn as good a player schmidt is i strongly prefer the sound of the eagles when randy was there.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

To get his tone, you can pinch your nose closed so you sound more nasal.

:bag:

Just kidding! I love his voice...but you gotta admit it's kind of nasal. :p
  8. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Flats, no doubt. My guess is either Fender or Labella.
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo

Schmidt has a better voice that fit their later stuff better but I feel like a lot of their early songs lose their drive when he plays them, especially"Already Gone".
  10. leemelone

leemelone

Have you ever heard the original four guys sing acapella? No offense to Timothy Schmit (no d) but the original band had a magical four part harmony blend that no other band has ever matched IMO of course. After Bernie Leadon left the vocals were never as good but the lead guitars were better. I think most Eagles fans would admit that the Meisner era recordings (everything up to and including Hotel California) are by far the best.
  11. MR PC

MR PC

He was known to play those early Hagstrom short scale basses, as well as a modified Guitarron sometimes. Just a beautiful sound. Yes, the original band was really great..management turned the Eagles into a money first/music second situation. Not saying the platinum version isn't legit, they've made some very listenable records, if not just paint by number studio tracks. But the original group had much more magic, much more real life drive, and a much more down to earth presentation.
  12. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

+1. I don't even like the originals all that much, but they were way better than the later bunch.
  13. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

I saw his basses up close in the 70s on the One of These Nights tour and the strings were Fender flats on virtually all of them.
  14. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

Just read all of the posts and wanted to chime in. I saw the Eagles half a dozen times between the Desperado album and Hotel California and as much as I loved Tim Schmidt after seeing him with Poco, I think that he never fit as well within the Eagles. Same with Joe Walsh. Probably my favorite guitarist of all time who I had been seeing since the James Gang days. I felt him and Don Felder were great on Hotel California but I preferred Bernie Leadon's playing for that particular band.
  15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I think it's less about what Randy's bass sounded like and the way he played, than it is the Henley/Frey "must control everything" that causes the differences. Bernie was the most interesting musician in the band ever.

John
  16. MR PC

MR PC

Very well stated.

I'll expand an be blunt in my take..and it's just my opinion no offense meant to anybody here.

Randy's particular bass style was born from a school of Southern Calif playing that's more about texture than locking with the kit as section...it's very un-schooled. And beautiful in it's own sphere. Really, it's like half of what Lee Sklar became famous for doing on everybody's records...it's one of the main ingredients of that regional sound. The Eagles started out as a band that wanted to be Poco, and it went way downhill once it was presented to the founding members that in making some personnel and visual changes they could have all the $$ and teenage girls screaming they'd ever imagined...now you can watch videos of them bickering with each other over royalty payments on utube. Pitiful example of success on it's own terms.

Oh yeah, love the scene with Jeff Bridges (the Dude, Big Lebowski) getting kicked out of the cab in L.A. for asking the cabbie to turn the Eagles tape off because "It's just that I hate The F******* Eagles, man" :D
  17. MR PC

MR PC

That's probably the sound of a Hagstrom bass with the pickups wired out of phase. Very honkee sounding..Emory Gordy used that setting sometimes, but in his case a lot of signal processing and eq was added to bring up the bottom..later Emory strung his Hagstrom as a baritone guitar (A-D-G-C), you can hear it on the intro of Emmy Lou's "Luxory Liner

trivia..:D
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I love Meisner and to me, his sound will always be a P with flats. Sure he played other basses, but if I cover the Eagles, I always use a P and ideally it has flats.

BTW, i saw the recent documentary of the Eagles..... Man, ol' Randy hasn't aged well compared to the others!:eek:
  19. MR PC

MR PC

P with flats does the job every time. Where is Meisner now?
  20. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I think Meisner's work on the first Poco album tops anything he did with the Eagles or anything Timmy did with either band.
  21. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I saw the Eagles in concert 4 nights ago, and Glenn said Randy is in ill health. :(