1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

rare 70's Fender bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JIO, Aug 20, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  2. greengoblin

greengoblin

3. JIO

Disclosures:
    cool - thanks for sharing that! who knew?
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

That is hot. I would really like to stand in front of it for about four hours on a Saturday night.
  5. JIO

Disclosures:
    If it's anything like the 360, those big 18" drivers would be less heard than felt (on stage). The waveform is so long it only comes into earth-shaking focus mid-way in the audience.

As the Coneheads always said; "maintain low tones!"
    [​IMG]
  6. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Although I believe both were unpowered, Peavey offered a W-horn cabinet as well as a an even rarer 150 Watt Kustom T-N-R model even earlier.

I never heard the Fender version, but I have heard a single 361 take on (2) Marshall stacks DIMED, while the 361 was at half.
  7. Joedog

Joedog

We had one of those heads in the music store I worked at in the early 90's. Actually it was pretty killer. Great slurpy tone and the volume could knock down buildings. I think it weighed something stupid....maybe even over 100lbs?
  8. Bflat

Bflat

I have the head and one cabinet in my collection of monster amps I wish I had two more cabs, but it sounds killer with one and two 301 acoustic cabs
  9. zachoff

zachoff

The 400 PS sounds great. Dude in a band called Fur King played through one at a show we played with them and I loved it.
  10. greengoblin

greengoblin

I've never heard the Fender, but have listened and experienced an original 360/361 of George's at a live event... Amazing! Would like to hear one of these..
  11. thedude77md

thedude77md

The 400 is an interesting beast. LOUD AS HELL. I didn't find the tone so hot though.
  12. taurus1

taurus1

I've seen a couple for sale, never wanted to deal something bigger and heavier than an SVT though.
  13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Do you mean something like this my GA friend?

1972 Kustom X1-18B in Charcoal Sparkle with original cover. I purchased from original owner last year. :hyper:
  14. Blankandson

Blankandson

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

They also made a 300PS.
    I liked it's tone better than the 400PS.
  16. JIO

Disclosures:
    sooo-weeet! There were 2 amps I lusted after back in the day, one was the 360 and the other was a Kustom roll & pleated in sparkle white. Damb - I ended up w/ a Heathkit! My dad & I built the TA-38 and it may have been "the loudest bass in town" - but the solid-state tone sucked! (what did I know back then anyway?) :D

[​IMG]
  17. JIO

Disclosures:
    exactly
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I had an Acoustic 301 (the same as a 360) cabinet and played hundreds of gigs with it. I can assure you the assertion you make is not so, though I am too tired to give you the detailed rebuttal you need, but here is the basic idea.

Waveforms are periodic, and their ~length in air at 68F is determined by dividing the speed of sound (~1126 ft./sec.) by the frequency. This is a scientific fact. Driver size and cabinet design have nothing to do with the length of waveforms. :cool:
  19. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

+1

If bass wavelengths needed a certain length of space to "develop", we wouldn't be able to hear the bass notes wearing headphones.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I think some people wrongly associate the old 18" cabs/drivers with modern versions mainly designed for sub-woofer type duties.