1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

rare '94 ibanez iceman icb 500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bquan, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Bquan

Bquan Supporting Member

Hey,

I'm hoping to sell my ibanez iceman soon and I really don't know where to start. It's hard to even find much info on the bass. The icb 500 was the only iceman bass made in Japan. From what I can find online there was 250 or less made, and it was made for the Asian market. It has a mahogany body, with pearloid binding around the entire body. It has a 3way pickup selector, and a set neck. It's a very nice bass, plays like a dream and is in perfect shape for being 20 years old. It comes with its original hard shell case. I periodically check ebay and I've never seen one for sale over the 10 years I've owned it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bquan

Bquan Supporting Member

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You can't start threads like this without being a supporting member of this site.

4. mr.black

mr.black

i had posted my ICB300 on ebay about a year or so ago i was hoping to get 350 with the case. but never had any interest even after relisting a few times. unfortunately the iceman market is pretty lame. i would think that the limited avail of the ICB500 may spark some marginal interest over my 300 though. In the end i just kept mine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I know fans of the Guitar... but not a single person that's a fan of the bass.

Whenever i see them on local Craigslist they usually start out ~$400... but as the weeks go on they get reposted for less and less. Most seem to go for ~$250-~$300

7. Padavona

Padavona

8. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

It's funny how hard it is to find any official info on ANY Iceman bass.
    I've found hundreds of Ibanez catalogs online and even my 2004 Korean ICB200--which was made in fairly large quantities compared to your ICB500--never seems to show up.

We can look at a few things to determine a fair asking price, but in the end you'll probably never get as much as it's truly worth.

Starting with my ICB200, they regularly go for $200-300 (I paid 2) and it's an inferior instrument due to the bolt-on neck, mini-humbuckers, and lack of body binding.
    On the other hand, mine has block inlays and the antique violin-type finish lets you see the quality of the mahogany body and the fact that it's only two pieces. Black is 'metal' but boring.
    The ICB200's gold hardware is typical in that it's carat level is so low that it actually tarnishes easier than chrome, so the black finish on yours is superior as is the high-mass design of the bridge.

The difference between Japan and Korea manufacture is minor in realistic terms, in my opinion--they are both very high quality.

My gut tells me that your bass SHOULD be worth $500+ on the used market, but I don't have much to back that up and the matter is settled by what someone will pay and what you will accept.
    That's what I would offer you as a starting point, and IF I had that $$$ right now we would be negotiating. It's a great example of a rare and desirable Ibanez.

Sadly, you have to go back a few more years to command "Vintage" prices and fanboy status.
    My 1977 Artist 2619 guitar has more than tripled in the prices I've been offered since I bought it new, despite ALL of the hardware being replaced 3 times due to the aforementioned cheap gold plating. Grover and Gibson have rotted just as badly as the original parts, yet people just seem to lust after my now frankenstein guitar.

Some models just don't do as well as others.
    Good luck.

9. CurtSchultz

CurtSchultz

Is that icb500 still for sale?