1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Raspberry Pi for wireless?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Desirsar, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Desirsar

Desirsar

It was a random thought and would be beyond my ambition (if not skill) to make work, but...

Would it be feasible to build a Raspberry Pi into the body of a guitar or bass, wire it with a DAC cable to USB, put another Raspberry Pi connected to the amp the same way, and connect the two via 300N wireless on 5GHz band? I wouldn't even expect to need custom software or drivers, I believe everything needed already exists.

And, yes, you could set it up so you could use a Bluetooth keyboard and display over Bluetooth or wireless, and sit around backstage or in a van using your instrument to play games.

I ask because I have a friend who is trying to find a project to work on with his son that uses Raspberry Pis, they also are both just starting out on guitar, which would increase his son's interest. I would even use them myself if the latency was under 5ms.
  2. the explode man

the explode man

If you can figure this out, give me a call.

I did a quick read on the DAC cable, and I'm not sure if/how it would work, but I think that would be your major bottle-neck - getting your guitar to communicate with the transmitter in a meaningful way to send an audio signal to the receiver.

Have you yourself worked with the Raspberry Pi at all? I was curious about starting a project to control a lighting grid on my pedal board. Of course, I have no programming experience.
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey