1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Raspberry Pi for wireless?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Desirsar, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Desirsar

Desirsar

It was a random thought and would be beyond my ambition (if not skill) to make work, but...

Would it be feasible to build a Raspberry Pi into the body of a guitar or bass, wire it with a DAC cable to USB, put another Raspberry Pi connected to the amp the same way, and connect the two via 300N wireless on 5GHz band? I wouldn't even expect to need custom software or drivers, I believe everything needed already exists.

And, yes, you could set it up so you could use a Bluetooth keyboard and display over Bluetooth or wireless, and sit around backstage or in a van using your instrument to play games.

I ask because I have a friend who is trying to find a project to work on with his son that uses Raspberry Pis, they also are both just starting out on guitar, which would increase his son's interest. I would even use them myself if the latency was under 5ms.

2. the explode man

the explode man

If you can figure this out, give me a call.

I did a quick read on the DAC cable, and I'm not sure if/how it would work, but I think that would be your major bottle-neck - getting your guitar to communicate with the transmitter in a meaningful way to send an audio signal to the receiver.

Have you yourself worked with the Raspberry Pi at all? I was curious about starting a project to control a lighting grid on my pedal board. Of course, I have no programming experience.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey