Rat fur cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HoboCop, Mar 12, 2014.

1. HoboCop

HoboCop

Hey does anyone have any tips for cleaning these things and repairing spots that have some wear on them? Much appreciated

2. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

The best thing I've found is the simple lint roller for getting fuzz, cat hair, etc. off of them. If you need to get spilled beer or something like that off them, I'd say you should be able to use some type of gentle cleaner, like maybe an upholster cleaner and a plastic brush (NOT a wire brush!).

3. HoboCop

HoboCop

I really want to take some kind of black spray paint to them.. I wonder if there's fabric paint that might work

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Legit question: What is the advantage of rat fur vs. tolex? Honestly, I can't understand why rat fur is even an option as a covering. That stuff is terrible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus

The original "feature" of the rat fur is that it does not rip as easily as the tolex and holds up better during load in / outs vs tolex. I think that is still the case, though tolex has been improved somewhat.

I'll tell you, though, here is a brutal combination: rat fur and a yellow lab in the house. We owned Marley for about 10 years and I'll tell you my rat fur cabs showed it. Nothing I ever found worked at all.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Stinky? Sprinkle baking soda all over it and let it absorb the stink. vacuum it off later.

Get a few shaving razors and literally shave all the raised and tufted carpet bits. It's possible to shave the carpet down to the point where it's really flat and smooth.

8. HoboCop

HoboCop

Good call with the razor, I will do that for sure

9. Yango

Yango

It is pretty horrible stuff. I put it in the same category as shag carpeting on the walls back in the 60's.

I had to vacuum my Eden D210XLT for ages before I sold it, just to get it looking half decent. I'm glad it's gone.

10. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

My Peavey Classic 400 head came covered in black rat fur. Now it's (further) covered with white cat fur. I can't get that cat hair off...

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Carpet dye or Rit dye
    Test a portion on the bottom.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

After u clean it get a cover made

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had a couple rigs with rat fur, but I like tolex so much better. Even the ugly tolex looks better to me, and I'd rather have tolex that's a little ratty looking than rat fur that's not. But it gets ratty looking as well. Just takes more time.

14. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

The shed hair of a lab will jab itself into any carpet type material like a fishing hook, never to be released.

fnord!

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Repairing damaged spots isn't easy. You can use paint but it is hard to match shades. There's a range of black shades for example. If it is really in rough shape, grind it off with a belt sander and recover the cab.

I once had to remove a bands name that was spray painted onto the case. Acetone and a lot of scrubbing worked really well and the rat fur looked a lot better afterwards. It depends on the rat fur though.

To clean the fur, I vacuum, use a stiff brush, and finish with soap and water. Does a good job.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

First vacuum clean it. Then clean it the best you can with a damp scrub type sponge, even use a razor to carefully remove any really funky stuff and get the fuzzy stuff off, then glue in fur - use the old fuzzy haircut stuff you removed for patches, let dry. Then lightly mist the rat fur with regular flat black paint with a rattle can (do it on a warm day). Let it dry and if you did it right (and it wasn't to beat up to beginning with) it'll look almost like new again.

17. cricman

cricman

Unless you absolutely want to keep the fur for nostalgia (or period correct authenticity- whatever that means), I vote for pulling it off and rolling on Duratex. I made a 2X10 speaker cabinet and it turned out great. I like it so much, I used it to cover a 4'X8'x10" box that sits in the covered bed of my pickup truck. I have stacked lumber, tools, and a whole host of other things and it is holding up great. I bought the sampler kit for the cabinet, and had some left over to start the truck box.

If your dead set on fur, then after cleaning it, you can carefully use a blow dryer industrial heat gun on a low setting to re-shrink the fibers and "tighten up" the fur and make it look almost like new. It worked fine for me. I can not emphasize enough the word "careful." Mind your distance and do not dwell in any spot very long. Use this technique at your own peril, as I can not be held accountable for your results!

cricman

18. webmonster

webmonster

Rat fur is pretty easy to put on and do a nice job (even a novice like me!). I just built a TL cab and used grey rat fur to match my 1990's era TL cab.

Is it easy to take off?
    I've got an amp at school donated to my Music Dept. and the previous owner's cat had a good time with it.
    Some of my students are interested in doing projects with me and stripping and recovering the combo would be good for us to do together.

19. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I like rat fur, its durable.

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

The best thing about rat fur, IMO, is that you can stick all your velcro cable ties onto the side and always know where they are when it's time to pack them away again. I used to buy those packets of 5 or 6 different color velcro ties from Radio Shack for about a buck.

21. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Rat fur is way more durable than tolex, but IMO tolex looks better - but personally, I like that new truck bed type paint or whatever it is that manufactures are now using on their new lightweight cabinets better.