Rat Tail vs. Iron Pig/Acid Pig Low End

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by russpurdy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

So, anyone know what the low end is like on these pedals? I have heard the Rat Tail maintains your lows nicely. Does the Iron Pig/Acid Pig do the same? Thanks!

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I've owned both the Rat Tail and Iron Pig. The RT has more consistent bottom end performance throughout the settings. The Iron Pig has a few clipping settings that are thinner than others, but overall is very good. It all depends in which clipping mode you select. Sometimes thinner may be what you need.

3. russpurdy

Thanks man. When it's in "standard rat mode" does it retain lows better than a Proco? Thanks!

4. zwkoch

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Rat Tail has all the low end you need and more

7. russpurdy

Thanks guys, I've been gassing bad for a Rat Tail but an Iron Pig came up and I'm waffling between them. Hard to find a Fuzzrocious for immediate purchase as well.

8. Insouciance

Insouciance

I have owned both. Kept the Iron Pig...but I almost exclusively use the straight LM308 setting, as it is the most open and raw sounding...which is also on the Rat Tail. Whichever one you end up with, you will find awesome sounds.

9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

10. russpurdy

Ah, but shipping to Canada is a tricky one with them.

11. aBoMoFo

aBoMoFo Supporting Member

I've played through a rat tail before and it was pretty cool but for some reason the iron pig just seems to get along better with my bass and playing style. I play stingrays with a moderately heavy hand and the pig just felt more "there" to the sound in my head when I think rat.

Everything else that the pig can do makes it a killer addition to a board. I'll never sell mine.

12. zwkoch

I had the exact same experience with my Sterling 5HH. On my single coil basses, the RT had that nice nasal bark that I love in the Rat. IMO you can't go wrong either way.