Rate Bands / Artists You've Heard Live!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bswag, Feb 22, 2014.

1. bswag

bswag "What's the ugliest part of your body?" Supporting Member

Yes foax, a thread you can really channel your inner bloviator on! (Not that I ever... well, never mind.)

Let us know what you thought of bands/artists/whatever you've heard live, I guess we'll say, regardless of genre, even. But hopefully restrict ourselves to names familiar to most of us, loosely speaking.

Did they meet/exceed/obliterate your expectations? Were they someone you'd never heard of before who left a big impression? Or, did they frankly take a big ol' dump? And why did they make whichever impression they made?

2. bswag

Sure, I'll go first...

Acts which met expectations would include The Band, BB King, The Pogues, Merle Haggard & The Strangers, REM, The Go-Go's, Miles Davis, to name a few; they all delivered with their brands of passion and quality, and superb to superior musicianship. Merle's bassist, as I recall, was playing a very non-"country" looking 6-string monster; his groove was solid Bakersfield honky-tonk.

As for obliterating expectations... can you say "Led Zeppelin?" Sure you can! Bearing in mind that, in the wake of their first album, expectations were pretty damn high.
    Buddy Guy- heard him in New York in '68, one of the free things in Central Park. I'd never heard OF him before; I certainly remembered the name from then on!
    Zappa & Mothers of Invention- same summer in NYC; Frank conducted while the Mothers played his exquisite mutant mashup music. For an encore, a drunk guy in the crowd who wouldn't take no for an answer got to come onstage for a few verses of "Hang On Sloopy." And actually, he wasn't too bad (as drunk-guy singers go); roaring into the chorus a second time, Frank (behind him) drops to one knee, the Mothers go silent en masse, and after an eternal moment of nothing but his "Haaaaaannnng onnnnn Slooooo..." filling the air, the guy literally vanished. Not even a puff of smoke...
    The Allman Bros. Band- I'd heard maybe "Whipping Post" on the radio, OK. They were part of a little mini-rock fest at the former UT baseball field one summer in Austin, 2nd on a bill of 4 acts. Perfect for a steaming hot trippy afternoon in Texas, with all those great instrumental passages. Haven't really heard anyone like them since. Southern hippy soul at its finest.
    It's a Beautiful Day- remember them? ("White Bird") The "headliners" of the event noted above. I wasn't sure what to expect of a "San Francisco" band, but they delivered with gusto and played the &*% out of their stuff. Lotsa shredded violin bows...
    Eric Clapton- same tours from which the "Just One Night" album was taken, same band, mostly same material. But for my money (I don't think it's just 'cause I was there) EC was a lot more "into it" here. The workout on "Double Trouble" was a master-class in slow-blues technique.
    War- a sorta-reunion tour in the 80's, with (I think) all but one of the original guys. Amazingly tight and funky, Lee Oskar let loose some awesome harp sound.
    Link Wray- a few years before his death, here in Madison. Backed by the bass & drums from his traveling openers (can't even recall their names). Link plugged his HSS Strat in, and plowed his pick through the open strings- no left hand. As everything began to feed back, he started to wiggle the whammy bar, and melodies began to emerge from the feedback (still no left hand!), after a few minutes of playing the feedback, full tilt into "Jack The Ripper" (I think)... Unreal! He only really played variations on a few of his "standards," but the tone, attack, and attitude were pure Link. If you don't know Link, you don't know squat about Rock and Roll! Think Link!
    Ravi Shankar- there's a left-field choice! But seriously excellent. With one of the best tabla players going at the time, mind-boggling to hear sitar and tabla tossing phrases back and forth at top speed. But the slow passages were even more amazing, some hard-core Indian blues for sure.
    Charlie Haden & Quartet West (w/substitute sax player)- speaking of great bass! Lots of that for sure. Also one of the best drum solos I've ever heard, from Larance Marable. He played the first few minutes on just the high-hat (he had, I believe, a kick-drum, a tom, a snare, a cymbal, and the high-hat total) with his sticks. Had a full (and large) hall spellbound; by the time he finally hit a drum, it sounded HUGE. An effective, yet musical, trick.

And in the dumpster...
    Moby Grape, also NYC in 68. Shortly after this show, Skip Spence was in the bughouse due to acid damage. Sad.
    The Replacements- Some bands (Pogues, eg) play pretty great when drunk. The 'Mats, at least on this night, did not. I left after they tried and failed to play more than a few measures of I-know-not-what tunes, with various incoherent rants betwixt. As much fun as watching a run-over dog die. Ugh. Sadder still, most of the audience seemed to really enjoy the spectacle.

OK, your turn.

3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Obliterating expectations:
    Dick Dale at a dive bar Miami in 95/96. This was a year or so after his resurgence due to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. He was totally on it.

Junior Brown at a Florida county fair in 97/98. Excellent sound and top caliber playing from him and his band.

Meatloaf in Dallas in 1989 before he made his comeback with Bat Out of Hell II. He played in Dallas Alley as part of their free summer concert series. His voice was so strong and he had great energy.

The Hives in Barcelona, Spain in 2000. Never heard of them before and they blew me away. That is still one of the best live performances I've ever seen.

Rollins Band in Austin in 1990. Still one of the best sounding, most intense rock shows I've ever seen.

Fishbone anytime, anywhere in the late 80s to mid 90s. That line-up was ferocious. Best live band I've ever seen.

Below expectations or just kind of "meh":
    Willie Nelson at a Florida flea market in 96. Big Willie fan, but it was a mediocre performance. It seemed like Willie and the entire band were on autopilot.

Johnny Cash on his last tour in 96. Age and sickness had caught up with him.

Merle Haggard at a honky tonk in Georgia in 98. See Willie Nelson.

Link Wray at House of Blues in Orlando in 98. Drove three hours from Miami to check him out. See Willie Nelson.

Steve Earle in Munich, Germany in 2000. Just a boring show all the way around.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    KISS 1976 - Exactly the show you would expect. Exactly the show I expected.

Aerosmith 1977, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1987, 1989, 1993 - Let's face it; in the 70's Aerosmith sounded TERRIBLE live. Whoever did their sound should've been ashamed. Sometimes you couldn't tell what song they were playing. In '81, I saw them on Nicolette Island, outdoors, and they were fantastic. In '82, they had no Joe Perry or Brad Whitford. Pat Travers opened, and his band was actually better than Aerosmith that year. All the shows I saw after they were reunited were tight, had fantastic sound, and I was very happy with them. The very last time, they had a few too many ballads, but overall, they were good, and a very pretty brunette did things to me I cannot describe on this forum without being banned.

Ted Nugent - I used to go see him just about every year, in the seventies and early eighties. He never disappointed me once, but he became dead to me when he did the Wango ze Tango, and I have no interest in anything about this man since.

Edgar Winter's White Trash - The single greatest concert experience of my life! He was at Duff's in Minneapolis, which was a smaller venue, and the band was explosive. I stood on a table, had my hair pumped back by the speaker volume, jumped up and down spilling drinks everywhere, and had the time of my life. MAN those guys were good!

Al Stewart, 1985 - I saw these guys in Kansas City, in a theater. I was a big fan of Al's middle of the road, adult rock, but I did not expect the show I got. They started out mellow, with a lot of acoustic and piano, and built momentum. By mid-show, they were doing songs like "Year of the Cat," and "On the Border" with precision, but the last few songs bordered on Heavy Metal. They absolutely rocked my face off, with big guitars, and big bass and drums; I never saw it coming. Wow!

Cheap Trick, 1978, 1993. The 1978 show was incredible, and blew my mind. The 1993 show was good, but I must've become jaded, because it was outdoors, and my feet were sore, and I didn't feel like staying for the whole show!

Nazareth - 1978, 1979 - I feel lucky to have seen these guys in their prime.

Thompson Twins 1986 - Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Moody Blues, October 31, 1983 - I saw the Moodies several times, and I've always enjoyed them, but this concert was special, because of their opening act. The guy reminded me of Jimi, sound-wise, and he had a fantastic vibe. Boy could he play! I knew he would be a big star. His name was STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN.

Styx/Journey/REO Speedwagon, 2003 - I went to this for my wife. She knows the guys in REO, and loves all three bands. It was hard to endure. All three bands have some good songs, but overall, not my thing. Journey was last, and they had a replacement singer that disappointed my wife. She asked if I wanted to leave after a few songs, and I could barely contain my glee. Styx had a replacement for Dennis DeYoung too! And REO was well past their prime, and no Gary Richrath, of course.

Heart, 1979 - Are you kidding? My God, they were fantastic!

Yes, 1984 9012Live Tour - Much better than I expected. Very good.

Rush, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure Tours - At the time, I considered them the greatest band of all times. As the years went on, they began to disappoint me. Grace Under Pressure had almost no Geddy Screaming; mullets, lots of synths, and instead of a Rickenbacker, a headless bass! I lost interest that year, and have not seen them since.

Many, many more, but those were some highlights and lowlights for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bswag

Junior Brown! Heard him many times in Austin, awesome player on his "Guit-Steel," can sing EXACTLY like Ernest Tubb, which is almost scary.

Wish I'd gotten to hear Heart back in the day. I'd have been a groupie for those womens, you bet! In my dreams, har har.

Edgar Winter? I wouldn't have guessed, but it's always nice to be surprised.

One act which also surprised me was (believe it or not) Country Joe & the Fish, again NYC in 68. They were spot-on, really tight, having fun; outshone their records by far.

I also forgot Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham/Nicks edition) in, um... well, they broke up not long after. Though obviously coked out the wazoo, they did a great show, McVie and Fleetwood were awesome, Mr. B wailed on his custom Turner, Christine was divine, Stevie seemed to change outfits between each song, which even at a distance- well, this gets us back in can't-be-printed-here territory! And love it or hate it, but nobody sings like Ms. Nicks, and she brought it that night.

Most of the above also applies to the Go-Go's! I had got two tickets (same venue, the Frank Erwin center, AKA "The Death Star"), my then-wife decided the Go-Go's were beneath her dignity or somesuch; a friend at work mentioned her just-turned-11 daughter would love to go, I said sure, why not? Long pause.... "You're not a PERVERT, are you?!?" No, at least not that kind (actually, I had a second-childhood-teenage crush on said friend- well, me and a few thousand other guys, but) and kiddo went for it, and we had a fine old time. I was definitely the oldest non-parent there. Those girls rocked the house! (Opener was Flock of Seagulls, "I Ran," who played well- in fact their bassist was outstanding- but other than the hit, most of their material was mid-tempo-kinda-boring-ish.) Every year or so afterward, some cute kid would pop up on the street and throw a hug on me before I even recognized her... She grew up to be a heartbreakingly lovely punk princess, and hopefully everyone lives happily ever after.

It'll be interesting to see how many people had wildly different experiences with the same acts.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I've had two "waves" of concert-going in my life, one when I was a teen (in the 80s) and one more recently since I started getting into playing myself, and also with my own kids hitting their teen years. I'll see what I can remember...

80s - in no particular order, I don't remember exactly when I saw who, and not a lot of detail.
    Howard Jones - very exciting, great stage presence and showmanship.
    Amy Grant (before she went secular and got big) - also a very enjoyable concert, on the mellow side.
    Hall and Oates - great show! That was a band that just had a blast and played great.
    Night Ranger/Starship (as they were known at the time) - blah. Boring.

2000s - not quite in the order I saw them...

Harry Connick Jr. - Fabulous! Lots of energy, good connection with the audience.

Yes with Benoit David: very good show. The stage was restrictive, very small, but musically they worked their magic. David, imo, did a good job owning the frontman slot despite the naysayer.

Yes with Jon Davison - also quite good, but I didn't really like the play-through-whole-album thing with Yes. Davison is a fantastic singer but I didn't feel he took charge of the frontman position the way David did.

Rush - very good show, though with some glitches. Sound was not great, kind of muddy, and it was really disappointing that they got disconnected in YYZ and lost their place. Otherwise, though, an awesome performance.

Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys - This was probably the most "rock concert" rock concert I've been to, with heaving sweaty masses of young people shoving and churning around a general-admission standing-room floor. Both bands very good, though I think there was more energy radiating from the Black Keys.

Arctic Monkeys (AM tour) - enjoyed it, I like this group's music, but they don't have the presence of some of the other groups I've seen.

Cold War Kids - seen twice at the Boston House of Blues, once with the original guitarist Jonnie Russell and once with the new guitarist and a touring keys player. These guys put on a great show and have a lot of energy and motion on stage. IMO, live, Russell had a certain presence and energy that the new guy didn't match, but still a great show.

Bombay Bicycle Club - likewise a very good show in a relatively small club. Rock a lot harder live than I expected from their recordings.

Joy Formidable - excellent band live! Saw them in a small place - Toad's in New Haven - and, even remembering that, they did more to connect with the audience than anyone else.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Deep Purple '74 Burn Tour - Fantastic. Blackmore was at the top of his game. Glenn Hughes on bass.

Blue Oyster Cult '74 Secret Treaties Tour recorded for On Your Feet Or On Your Knees Live album - Amazing

Uriah Heep '75 - John Wetton era - Way too loud! If you stuffed your fingers in your ears it was tolerable.

Boston '76 Debut album tour - Terrible. The album sounded great, but they did not live.

Black Sabbath '75 Sabotage Tour - Perfect. Frampton & Lynyrd Skynyrd openend. Outdoor show.

Yes '76 - Relayer / Solo Album tour - Transcendent experience. Laser lights and Roger Dean stage props. Phenomenal.

Aerosmith '75 - Toys in the Attic tour. They were the opening act for ZZ top. The drugs had not yet ruined their playing. Stellar performance. They stole the show. ZZ top came on stage in glitter cowboy suits - we left after 2 songs...

Rush '78 - Hemispheres Tour. Played the entire album. Was totally blown away with their show. .38 Special and Pat Travers opened.

So many great ones. These were just the ones that came instantly to mind

9. JimK

JimK

I am surprised that bswag is surprised. I never saw White Trash live...but Roadwork kills; I did see the Edgar Winter Group w/ Rick Derringer in a hockey rink. Playing & sound were very good.
    The James Gang w/ Tommy Bolin opened this show...they sounded very good, too.

10. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I saw David Gilmour, Mark King..and Steward Copeland live, it was fantasic. Then I woke up.

11. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I saw Edgar with both White Trash and his own bands with first Derringer and the Ronnie Montrose on guitar, always killed!

12. jacksonev94

jacksonev94 Supporting Member

Muse (2010, Resistance Tour) - Unbelievable. This is the show that I have judged all other shows by, the highest of standards. Unbelievable live performance by every band member, beautiful stage set, and phenomenal energy.

Mutemath (2012, Odd Soul Tour)- I had heard how good these guys are live, and Roy Mitchell is one of my all-time favorite bassists, so I had high expectations, which were totally exceeded. 20+ song set, unbelievable musicianship, and great stage presence.

Civil Twilight (2012, opened for Mutemath)- This was an unexpected surprise, as I had no idea who they were. South Africa-based, the bassist is also the vocalist, and he lays down some great parts while singing. Excellent, lo-fi show. Very ethereal.

The Neighbourhood (2013)- Terrible. Indie-pop group from southern California. They are just terrible live. If you have teens who are into this music scene and want to see this band, do them a favor and forbid it. Worst performance I've ever seen. (Their album is okay, though.)

The 1975 (2013)- Manchester-based indie pop/rock, they opened for The Neighbourhood. I saw them before they released their first album, so the set was short. Lots of tracking, especially with guitar parts (the singer mostly used his as a prop to dance with), but the bassist and drummer were extremely tight. I'd love to give these guys another chance, now that their album is out, and they've toured some more.

Cold War Kids (2013)- Good live performance, I saw them with their new guitarist and live keys player. I love their bass player live; he's not fancy, but he has an extremely interesting stage presence.

CHVRCHES (2013)- Awesome show. I was really surprised at how good this group was live; it was my first electronic show, and they knocked it out of the park. (This group is going to be BIG in 2014.)

Cayucas (2014)- Extremely fun performance. Really groovy playing by all the band members; their songs really came to life in a live setting.

Young the Giant (2014)- I had high hopes for this show, too, and YTG delivered. All the members were extremely talented live, and the bass playing was excellent. I mean really, really good, as well as really present in the mix. The playing was really tasteful and perfect for the songs, but was complex enough to make even the non-bassists do a double take.

I've been to more (obscure) shows, but these are some of my favorites that I've been to since I started regularly attending. Overall, I've had some really good experiences.

13. Milk

Milk

Above expectations:

The Cure, Toronto, 2004

I haven't given a **** about any Cure record since Wish in 1992 but since I'd never seen them live and they're my favorite band I figured I should at least see them once. I knew I'd have to endure songs I didn't know or cared about so thats why i didnt expect much and they were lets say past their prime but they were wise and alternated a new song with a classic for about the first dozen songs then just played older songs and I have to say when they did play the good songs, they sounded great. The Cure has never been a very dynamic band live and i knew that and there was no surprise there but sound wise they were one of the best I've seen. I really got into it an i didn't think i would... I was the closest to dancing i've ever been at any show... (im not the dancing type...)

Polysics, 2006 i think? Or maybe 2005

I knew a few of their songs and liked them, but nothing more. Talk about being a live band. Very dynamic, know how to work a crowd despite the language barrier (theyre japanese and sing in japanese). Its just unfortunate that after a while their songs start to sound too much the same....

Met Expectations:

Interpol, Toronto, 2004

Well they were on the same bill as The cure but unfortunately it was about two months before I really got into them. I'd listened to their two records at the time and I guess I wasn't completely able to enjoy them because i was basically jealous cause at the time it's pretty much what musically i was trying to do... :p It was a good show though. If i'd allowed myself to enjoy it....

Placebo, 2003

Was really into this band in the early 2000's even if i don't really listen to them anymore. I have to say I have not before or since heard a band that sounded so much perfectly like they did on record (for better or worse, I mean its not the kind of band that you should expect will do any improv...). Whoever was responsible for their stage sound i would hire. Perfect mix, everything well balanced. It of course probably helps that they are a trio (though sometimes there would be an additional guitarist)

Below expectations

Mogwai, 2004

Was very into this band in 2004, well i never heard good things of their live shows, the main complaint being that they are way too loud. There were stories of people actually puking from the vibrations... no joke. And everyone recommended ear plugs. Well I saw them at an outside show and it wasn't the case at all, in fact i'd say they were maybe not loud enough. It was still day and since it was a festival barely anyone was at their stage. Anti-climactic, cant really blame it on the band, but yeah... not a good show.

Smashing Pumpkins, Chicago, 2000

Well it WAS an arena show and it's been in fact my ONLY arena show so i can't judge compared to others but the sound was absolute **** and based on bootlegs i heard of SP back in the days when i was into them, it's my opinion SP sucked live. Horrible sound. It was supposed to be their last arena show ever, the day after they were playing at the Chicago Metro and then splitting up....of course they came back some years after.

Worst Show ever

Zwan, Columbus, Ohio, some time in 2002 i think?

Well i have no idea how the sound or songs were (i hadnt listened to the record when i went though when i did later i realised i shouldn't have went anyway), turns out putting a lot of Billy Corgan fanatics in a tiny venue is a bad idea as they all REALLY pushed for the stage once the band got on. My gf at the time was smashed into the front and had to have security take her out of the crowd. the same happened with her friend and a bunch of other people (mainly short girls). They didn't get to see any of the show. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get through to the front so i was forced to remain for the whole show, squished between everyone, unable to see the stage and not really caring to at that point and holding my head up to catch any breath of fresh air i could find above the crowd. I thought i would faint and spent the whole show trying not to. If i'd fallen, i probably wouldn't have gotten up. Ever.

Also in worst show ever...a lot of obscure indie bands i stumbled (or followed people) into....

14. P Town

P Town Guest

Let's see what I can recall off the top of my head.
    Count Basie
    Woody Herman
    Frank Zappa
    Jimi Hendrix
    Joe Pass
    BB King
    BB King
    BB King
    BB King
    The Doors
    Howlin' Wolf
    John McLaughlin
    Dr. John
    Maynard Ferguson
    Ella Fitzgearald
    Rory Gallagher
    Johnny Winter
    Edgar Winter, and I think Johnny may have been there as well
    John Paris
    Charlie Daniels Band
    Stephane Grappelli
    Willie Dixon
    Siegel Schwall Blues Band
    Dr Ralph Stanley Clinch Mtn Boys

Seen many, many more, but these stand out in my memory as great shows.

Count Basie may be the overall high point.

15. bswag

Good stories, gang! Keep 'em coming.

As for Edgar Winter, I guess all I'd really heard by him was that "Frankenstein" tune, which I always liked, but somehow I can't recall hearing any actual albums. So, too bad for me.

I did see a latter-day semi-reunited Siegel-Schwall Blues Band (Jim Schwall lives here) with Jim & Corky, Sam Lay on drums (still up on the double-shuffle) and the mighty Rollo Radford on bass- a Steinberg, as I recall. Great show all around.

Other standout shows which have come to mind would include:

New Order- touring after "Technique." Excellent! Peter Hook live was everything you'd hope, swinging that custom hollowbody at about ankle-height while ripping out those great lead-bass melodies. They managed the perfect confusion between "instruments" and "electronics" without sounding hokey or contrived. Their opening act was-

Throwing Muses- OK, full disclosure, I was too mesmerized by the sight of three gorgeous womens bouncing all over the stage to keep track of the songs (ahem). If you ask me, their drummer, he's gotta be the hardest working man in show biz! Leslie Langston, their bassist at the time, was great, she was all over that thing with great time.

Jorma Kaukonen- No bass, this was a solo acoustic show. Hearing and seeing him play that stuff up close, sheesh! Earned his reputation and then some.

Doc Watson- Pretty much as above, awesome player, a voice that takes you right back to the hills and hollers (even if you've never been there).

Sun Ra Arkestra- Like the Maestro said: "Great Googly Moogly!!!" Played at the long-gone Liberty Lunch in Austin. Rickety old bus pulls up, buncha guys, mostly middle-aged at least, file off carrying beat-up horn cases, &c.
    Curtain time: Ra is dressed in multi-layered quasi-Egyptian robes with iridescent lining, playing everything from barrelhouse piano to space-is-the-place synth. From time to time he dances up front, joined by two beautiful sisters is mind-bediddling outfits of their own. Mr. Ra was quite agile for a fella of his vintage!
    During one tune, one of the sax players sets down his horn- he's seated in a chair- springs out of the chair, does a triple backflip to center stage, bows, and resumes his seat, no biggie- after a slight bug-eyed "Holy $^!*, did you see that???" pause, the house goes wild. The music was of course exceptional throughout. I don't know who was in the band at that time, but they all killed.

Donovan- Didn't know what to expect; another solo acoustic show. But he had a charming stage presence, didn't seem to take it all too seriously, and did his stuff with panache.

Jonathan Richman- Just him with an old archtop and a drummer with a single snare. He's one of those folks, I can't really play their stuff at home, but it works great live, and this was a great show.

Mojo Nixon, with Skid Roper on washtub bass- As above, totally hilarious, especially when the imposing Skid took the guitar for one tune; showered with audience song suggestions, he bellowed "SHUDUUUUP!!!!! It's MY song!" And then performed a truly heart-rending version of "The Tin Woodsman's Song."

Rosie Flores & Band, goodbye show at Hole in the Wall, Austin. With guest picker Junior Brown to one side, and uppity Tele-slinger David Holt on the other, a triple-guitar country shred-fest. Massive fun!
    Rosie remains a great player and still tours, I gather; if she comes to your town, go!

fiReHOSE- Mike Watt & George Hurley, one of the great punk rhythm sections. Seeing Mike rip the B-Jezzus out of that Tele bass while his cheeks puff out like a crazed cartoon chipmunk is, well, inspiring!

Sonic Youth- Saw them twice in Austin. First was pre-"major"-label, they set up off-stage, so us early birds wound up about a foot from the band once the joint filled up. (Yes, old-timers, that would be The Continental Club, in the Mark & Jeanette era.)
    Yeah, I could have reached out and touched Kim Gordon's bass... Like I would have dared! I did get sweat splattered, though (sigh). They sounded just right in such environs, random structures emerging from chaos- Fractal music!
    Second time at the Lunch, after "Daydream Nation." Mudhoney opening- boring. Sorry, I didn't get it, whatever it was... The Youth were still on, though!

REM- Sometime between second and third records, I think. The instrumentalists appeared first and fired up a vamp; Stipe ran out from the wings (wearing about 17 or so jackets, it seemed), grabbed the mic and unleashed a magnificently flat note, long enough to let us know that he knew he was, pulled it up and they were off-
    High energy, great playing all around, good sound. At that point, some of the "indie" or "college" rock stuff I'd heard seemed a little, I dunno, wispy? But live, they were a straight-up rock-'n-roll band, however quirky, and they rocked the house.

That's my memory-dump for the nonce. Keep 'em coming...

16. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I have had the opportunity, having spent almost 30 years in major market radio, to see so many concerts, from both the FOH and backstage, that I literally cannot remember all of them. But there are a few that stand out as being stellar and bringing their "A game"- many which I've seen several times...in no particular order:

Van Morrison, James Taylor, Michael Jackson (Thriller tour), James Brown, Chicago, Aerosmith, Santana, Eagles, ZZ Top, Tina Turner, Steely Dan, Doobie Bros, Loggins & Messina, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Winwood, Rolling Stones, Delbert McClinton, Leon Redbone, Tony Bennett, Chris Isaak, Tom Petty, Brian Setzer Orch...
    I'm sure more will come to mind...lol...

17. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I saw Carcass a couple weeks ago.
    They killed it.
    the band was ultra tight, with lots of crazy tempo changes, super fast riffs, stops and punches all over the place.
    Singer/Bassist Jeff Walker did it all with the look of a seasoned veteran and hit each and every note spot on.

18. the_stone

the_stone

My father-in-law took me, the wife, and his wife to see The Zombies at the Kessler Theater in Dallas last year. I'll freely admit to not knowing anything about them at the time, except that he kept saying how influential they were back in the day (I'm 34, so I wasn't around back then myself). Gotta say, that band in that venue was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent sounded incredible, the whole band was tight, and the tunes were great - it was one of those shows that you end up enjoying even if you don't know the music beforehand.

Underwhelming - seeing Robben Ford at the Grenada in Dallas. I only have a few of his albums, but I was expecting the music to be similar to what I had heard - high energy and a lot of variety. Instead, it was a lot of 1-4-5 jamming and slow ballads. He also seemed to get really ticked off when anyone in the first few rows raised a cell phone to take a picture.

19. JimK

JimK

Bswag-
    Check out this White Trash nugget...

The pre-song banter?
    From Wiki-
    At the start of their appearance at the Apollo Theater, the unidentified host who introduced them chided their evident late arrival saying (slightly off mic):

"Y'know, every time we used to go outta town for them jive jobs they give us, they always say 'black folks: late, can't be on time,' now look at the White Trash!" (chuckle)

The comment was met with laughter from the audience. After the introduction, the audience again broke out into sporadic laughter, possibly not expecting much from the band as it consisted of all white musicians, but their doubts were quickly dispelled when the band launched into "Cool Fool", a funky R&B song.

20. JimK

JimK

More Edgar Winter Group...sorry, could not resist.

"Frankenstein" (w/ Rick Derringer) from the Old Grey Whistle Test...looks/sounds live to me ;)

Man, 3 of these guys are no longer with us.

...and damn the '70s Special F/X guys.

21. bswag

JimK- Thanx for the Trash! God, they don't make stage outfits like that anymore, do they?

Randy Jo Hobbs is killer- looks like he's using a pick on that P-bass? Love the monster-mash interlude in "Frankenstein."

Hell, I may have to go out and get me some "Roadwork" wunna these days!