1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rated R or MA-LSV ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Solarmist, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I’ve noticed in the last several years that some TV networks are using a MA-LSV rating in order to run an otherwise unedited R rated movie or series on regular TV - namely the IFC. FX also uses the MA rating for Archer & Justified. Are the networks themselves responsible on how they go from R to MA or how does this work?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

TV ratings are different than movie rating, I believe. There is no G, PG, PG-13, R rating system applied to television. I dont know all the TV Ratings, but Ive seen plenty of MA shows - for Mature Audiences.

3. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I was mainly referring to the IFC - for example the movie Havoc which is rated R, but MA on IFC.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Fox Movies is the same way. Regular slightly premium but not as premium as say HBO channels can run unedited movies if they want to. IFC sucks donkey poo now though since they interrupt the movies with commercials.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

TV MA is basically the equivalent to R for Television.

Within MA, you get all the different letters for Language, Suggestive Dialogue, Violence, Sexual Situations and whatnot. I am sure it makes it more lax for the TV Networks in regard to how they label their movies, but I think it is a fairly good system.

Kids these days are exposed to a ton of things, and it is really up to parents to monitor what they do and watch. I think that TV gives you pretty good indicators to work with.. if it's TV MA - LVS, you know it's going to be a pretty violent movie with some sexual situations and it may not be appropriate for a younger audience. Plus, on these major networks, a lot of the stuff gets edited out anyways.