1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rattle in bridge, acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by project_c, Jan 22, 2014.

1. project_c

project_c

I just bought an acoustic bass for very little money, and it's great except there's a rattling sound by the bridge at the E string, which makes it sound distorted when going thru an amp. If I press down on the E string, it kind of goes away. Any idea if this is a string issue or a bridge issue? (The strings on it are approximately 800 years old, but they sound awesome.)

2. lz4005

lz4005

Does the rattle go away when you press down on the bridge saddle close to the E string?

3. project_c

project_c

it seems to, yes. I've loosened the string and gave it a little clean under there, and it's a bit better now, although it still rattles if I dig in, and still only on the E string.

4. lz4005

lz4005

My first suspicion would be that the bridge saddle isn't quite perfectly flat on the bottom so it isn't making good contact on the E side. Either that or the bridge isn't connected securely on that side.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. project_c

project_c

that sounds like it might be worth dropping it in for a quick setup and repair. Thanks for your input!