Rattling E new string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fender099, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fender099

fender099

So I'm changing my strings on a standard fender jazz bass, and all of a sudden the E string starts rattling. I can't make it stop. ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357567948.008724.jpg

Here is the side view, if it helps. ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357568037.254068.jpg

2. fender099

fender099

Ok, now I've put all the strings on, tuned them up, and there still rattling. They are fender medium light 7250ML bass strings.

3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

How long was your bass without all four strings? You generally don't want to leave your strings off the bass for too long as it is the strings that help maintain the neck's tension. Also, are the strings the same type (brand, gauge) as the ones you had on before?

4. fender099

fender099

I left the strings off for about 15 seconds each. The strings were identical to the old ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Only when open or all notes?

7. fender099

fender099

Open and low notes.

8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Don't hold me to it but those strings might be round cores. If so the core may be rattling around in the winding. Try removing the E and just near the top of the string where it goes into the tuner, put a little crimp in with wire cutters. Just enough to grip the core. When you put them back on, make sure they don't twist around too much and go on straight.

See if any of that helps.

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Most likely scenario IME: changed string brand and/or gauge but didn't adjust setup.

Does the shoe fit? Sometimes obvious questions need to be asked. If this is the case, you may want to look into adjusting neck bow and string height.

10. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Sounds like a minor truss rod adjustment is needed. Don't be afraid, grab a wrench!!

Also check to make sure the E String is seated properly at the saddle and the nut (nothing is too small to check when your bass is sick)

11. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Since the brand and gauge are the same it could just be a defective string. I'd try another E string (starting with the one you just removed).

12. fender099

fender099

Worked! Thank you so much!

13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Awesome. Sure thing and glad it worked out !!

14. Brocbass

Brocbass Supporting Member

Wow good trick I'm experience the same thing on a brand new American DX V never had this happen before will try this tomm

15. Brocbass

Brocbass Supporting Member

Crimping def did the trick!!!!