1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rattling knob?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Nov 2, 2012.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

The volume knob on my Fender Am. Std. P has a tendency to rattle depending on its position and what not I'm playing. It's as tight as it will go yet it still rattles. The pot itself isn't loose.

Is there a fix for this? It's a solid shaft/set screw knob.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Try either slightly raising or lowering the knob on the shaft. Is it loose rattle or rattling against body top? Also look at the pot shaft. Some solid ones have a flat side for the screw to better hold.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I tried that, didn't work. I think it's loose rattling but the knob is as tight as I can get it.

4. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Try taking off both knobs, then putting the former tone knob on the volume shaft, leaving the volume knob off. If the rattling stops, buy a replacement knob for your volume. If it doesn't, it's probably the shaft.

5. Register to disable this ad