Rattling Tuning Peg

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by harmologna, Nov 10, 2012.

1. harmologna

harmologna

I have a Christopher double bass, and the A string tuning peg is loose and has a rattle. Can anybody lend me some advice as to how i can fix it so it does not rattle?
  2. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

It depends on where it is "rattling". I am working on a friends Squier P Bass and the tuners were rattling where the flat part meets the post. I disassembled the tuners and melted some solder in the joint and all is OK now.

[​IMG]
  3. harmologna

harmologna

i see, yeah the whole tuning peg is loose from within it's holder.

so the tuning peg can move a little bit where as the others can not, and this is creating the rattle
  4. Andyman001

I've never worked on an upright/double bass before, I'd have to see it to comment further.
    can you upload a picture or two?
  5. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass harmologna.

+1 for pics, but almost all the "real" DB tuners I've seen have been the ones Leo did copy "his" design from ;).

Soldering/brazing works well if the leaf is just worked itself loose, but often that repair looks a bit messy afterwards.

A "modern" way is either epoxy or CA.
    Both are fully reversible, easy to clean and are IME very permanent solutions unless the instrument gets smacked around a lot.

If the leaf is what rattles, and was originally just riveted in place, a good machinist or luthier will be able to retighten (or replace) the rivet, but a DIYer usually just makes the rattling worse. Not to mention the looks ;).

OTOH, if the shaft has worked itself loose in the plate, that takes considerably more work to repair. But is perfectly doable.

So, help us to help You and do post some pics.

Regards
    Sam
  6. Andyman001

In the pic I posted the CA glue came loose,(not my work), and looks were not important. also the value of this bass, and the fact the repairs are a "freebie" had some input.:)

I think from the OP's last post it is the shaft that is loose, but we'll wait and see.
  7. GMO

GMO

Thanks a lot. I think I can resolve the rattling on the tuning peg of my doublebass with this measure.
  8. Andyman001

Glad to help. Just make sure there are no plastic/nylon parts, or remove them before applying heat.

And remove the tuner from the bass first:)
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I once solved this on my Kay years ago by putting a rubber band tightly around the area where the key meets the post.