Raven Labs PMB-1..Is this the answer??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rickreyn, Nov 4, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

I am playing both my Lakland 55-94 fretted and Ibanez GW-1 fretless during our typical 25 minute set each Sunday. Up to this point, I have had to have a distinct break to switch basses or I can't pull it off. Also, the Ibanez has far less output than the Lakland and really needs a different EQ and gain. The Raven Labs PMB-1 appears to be the answer since a) I can have both basses plugged in at the same time, and b) I can EQ them differently and boost the GW-1 as needed. I could take down the gain on the Lakland, but I really would like to keep it hot since it's my main bass. Any of you have experience with this unit? Am I on the right track? I am using a Carvin R600 amp.

2. winston

winston

The PMB-1 would work very well for this purpose. I have one that I've used for mixing the 2 outputs of my Chapman Stick, which require different EQ and gain settings. The effects blend control is very useful and the mute and phase reversal switches have come in handy.

Plus it's extremely quiet, has uncolored studio-quality sound, and can be battery powered. With the channel and master gains maxed it has enough signal to drive a power amp on its own, but it's more suited for mixing instrument-level signals into the front of an amp.

That said, I'm planning on selling mine because I need a preamp for the Stick with separate XLR channel outs, headphone amp, and more powerful EQ. Mine is in mint condition except for a couple minor scratches-I 've only used it for a total of maybe 6 hours at home. Please email me privately if you're interested.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

I have the MDB-1, and have played through the PMB-1. Raven Labs gear is fantastic sounding stuff.

Your Willis bass should have a trim pot inside to make the active preamp louder. It is factory-set to match the passive output.
    Cheers,
    LM

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

I've checked the pot, but I have not experimented with it. I'll check it again. Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad