1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Raw/Exposed ground wire normal on a new preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jan 9, 2013.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I just received a new preamp...and the wire is completely raw, braided like. Is this normal?? Will this not cause issues?
  2. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

AAAAAAAAAAApparently this is the new thing Nordstrand is now doing.
  3. Crater

Crater

It can potentially cause issues if the un-insulated ("raw") ground wire touches signal wires within the control cavity. Make sure it's tucked out of the way of any exposed terminals like on the tone/volume controls or output jack. The wire is probably intended to be soldered to the back of a pot or other grounding point and then trimmed off.
  4. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

[​IMG]

Wanted to share this...just to hear possibly people's opinions on this if it'll cause any issue?
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i alway thought bare braided gnd cables were to be short as possible.:confused: looks like an accident waiting!
  6. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I called up Nordstrand today pretty ticked about it honestly and they said it's the new way they are doing them "for flexibility". I think I'll be taking some liquid electrical tape to it tomorrow.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

My guess is that it ships with extra wire that is intended to be cut. Better to have too much than not enough. Cut it as short as possible and you should be fine. Quite often in many systems, from small electronics to huge high voltage system the ground is an exposed wire or bus. It's not a problem if you install it correctly (meaning trim the wire) and make sure it doesn't touch anything else.

Short version: exposed, and even braided, grounds are common.

Pun intended.
  8. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Yeah I forgot to mention they said that it's also for ease of grounding the pickups wherever you want as well. Still, worries me that it might short on me if I do something wrong.
  9. KramerDon

KramerDon

If it bothers you wrap some electrical tape around it
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Where you you connecting it to?

Just cut it shorter.
  11. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Installed today now I have a 60 cycle hum when the treble is rolled up and I've spent a good 2 hours cross checking everything.
  12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's not 60 cycle hum. 60 cycle hum is a low frequency. 60 Hz is between a B and B flat on your A string.

What you are hearing is electrical field interference which is a high pitched buzz, not a low hum. That's why you hear it more with the treble boosted. The preamp is making a quiet buzz louder.

Is the bass shielded? Shielding fixes that kind of noise.