1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Raw finger tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skullking, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Skullking

Skullking

So i'm rather new to playing my bass which was a gift for making it home from Afghanistan so i'm really motivated to get some where with my playing. Last night I may have over did it I dunno how long I was working at it but I know I didn't go to bed till 5 am today working on Stay In by Jaws (Amazing song) and the two finger tips I use the most really raw now. I know i'll develop calluses in time. But for now is there anything I can do? I wish to continue but it hurts to play lol. Thank you.
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Not much to do about it really. Work on the callus, and avoid a blister!

Thank you for your service!
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Thank you for your service!

Nope, just keep playing and it'll get better shortly. It takes a few weeks to get those callouses.
  4. Skullking

Skullking

Thats what I assumed. Thank you.
  5. rodl2005

rodl2005

Dip em in metho ??? I used to. Dunno if it worked but made me smell funky.
  6. kcole4001

kcole4001

I've been told to avoid washing your hands, especially in hot hot water just before a heavy session of playing, because it softens the callous.

I generally wash my hands before starting a gig since handling all of the cords leaves them pretty dirty, and I'd like to keep that funk off my strings.
    So now I try to wash quickly with warm water and leave a longer time between washing and playing if possible.
  7. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

If it gets really bad I've put a dab of superglue on my fingertips...
  8. Skullking

Skullking

I'll keep that in mind. I'm far from playing any shows with a bass but I do admit I had a blast when I did the trombone in a highschool ska band.