1. Welcome to the premier online bass player community and classifieds!

Register a free account to remove in-screen ads.

Raw finger tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skullking, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Skullking

Jan 14, 2014
    So i'm rather new to playing my bass which was a gift for making it home from Afghanistan so i'm really motivated to get some where with my playing. Last night I may have over did it I dunno how long I was working at it but I know I didn't go to bed till 5 am today working on Stay In by Jaws (Amazing song) and the two finger tips I use the most really raw now. I know i'll develop calluses in time. But for now is there anything I can do? I wish to continue but it hurts to play lol. Thank you.
  2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Not much to do about it really. Work on the callus, and avoid a blister!

Thank you for your service!
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Thank you for your service!

Nope, just keep playing and it'll get better shortly. It takes a few weeks to get those callouses.
  4. Skullking

Jan 14, 2014
    Thats what I assumed. Thank you.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Dip em in metho ??? I used to. Dunno if it worked but made me smell funky.
  7. kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I've been told to avoid washing your hands, especially in hot hot water just before a heavy session of playing, because it softens the callous.

I generally wash my hands before starting a gig since handling all of the cords leaves them pretty dirty, and I'd like to keep that funk off my strings.
    So now I try to wash quickly with warm water and leave a longer time between washing and playing if possible.
  8. If it gets really bad I've put a dab of superglue on my fingertips...
  9. Skullking

Jan 14, 2014
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm far from playing any shows with a bass but I do admit I had a blast when I did the trombone in a highschool ska band.