RAY BANS...yays and nays.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Campbell, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

bought 3 identical pairs that i thought should have been built a lot better for $225 a pair....the 2pairs for for $25 mall court specials i bought when i forgot them at home lasted years longer and took far greater abuse....i'm told i cannot even buy replacement lenses any more....the quality goes out the window before the name goes on???....
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I stopped wearing those in 1989.

-Mike
  3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

so who builds the quality stuff now?.....never used to wear them but now i kind of have to....
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Ain't called a classic for nothing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I am currently wearing a Ray Ban style pair of Zeal's. They are high quality. Not sure on retail price, I get then cheap because my mom works at place that sells them.

lowsound

Edit: these to be exact, in blue. http://www.zealoptics.com/kennedy.html
  7. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I have some Ray Bans I got a pretty good price on at Costco. They mostly stay in the glove box of my car. I like my cheap Foster Grants better.
    My wife and son swear by Maui Jims. Meh, I still like my cheap sunglasses. They are polarized though.
  8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i liked my cheapies too..but a tragic crossword puzzle incident at a donut shop,and they are hanging together by a literal thread.....i broke one pair almost immediately,but the other lasted well over 5 years....the ray bans were toast in a few months each...
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

the ray bans are the car driving glasses, the jackie o ditas are the beach glasses, and the versaces are the west side glasses
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I've been wearing Oakley's since I gave up the Ray Bans.

-Mike
  11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I went from Ray Ban to Italian made Revo , not the cheaper Chinese versions. My brother went from Ray Ban to Maui Jim. I am very impressed with the Maui Jim warranty.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Luxotica bought the Ray Ban name and now manufactures them in Italy. My current pair and a previous pair are/were of the rubberized nylon variety and have withstood unspeakable abuse. I bought a plastic pair in between and those broke in short order.

Since my first pair in the 80s, I've ALWAYS had a pair of Ray Bans!
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sunglasses last as long as you take care of them. For many years, the only time that sunglasses came off my face, they went into a hard case. That's the best way to take care of them.

I wear prescription sunglasses, so I alternate regular glasses and sunglasses. When I take the sunglasses off, they go into an Oakley microfiber bag that I handle carefully or keep in a specific pocket in my briefcase. They don't go into a pocket loose, never onto a car's dash unless they're in the protective microfiber bag, etc. They don't get scratched, they don't get sat on. I'm careful about that when they cost $300 a pair.

My sunglasses last 5-8 years per pair. My current pair is American Optical aviators, and they're on their second set of prescription lenses so I'm sure they're 4+ years old.

[​IMG]

Take care of them and they'll last. Treat them roughly and they'll die quickly. Cost is irrelevant because it doesn't increase their ability to withstand rough handling.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My Ray-Bans are my driving sunglasses.
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My optician recommended the rubberized ones over just about everything else mentioned in this thread specifically for being rugged enough for my favorite sport (windsurfing) in my prescription, the combination of which has wreaked havoc on my glasses over the years. I went back to non-polarized this time, so much better for my needs. I was skeptical in all honesty, but a year in, so far so good.
  16. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i'm going to ask if the local optometrist can make me some prescription lenses....the frames are ok,but the lenses not ....the ear thingies all disintegrated whereas my cheapies are still ok in that respect.....i just don't get it....i used to be a brand loyal guy,but.....
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Actually, Ray Ban optics are excellent. Same with Oakley, but their frames can be uncomfortable for some since a lot of them are made from inflexible metal.

Maui Jim are another decent set.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

They truly are durable. I had my first pair for something like eight years...long enough to have three different prescriptions in them. I always loaded them with Transitions lenses so I wore them a lot including a lot of "active" use. They're still intact; they've just become a little too loose for my taste. In addition to being incredibly durable and flexible, they're light as a feather. I truly believe that rubberized nylon is the perfect material. I plan on always having a pair.

My current pair have the newfangled polarized Transition lenses. They're kind of neat.
  19. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i'm looking at chipped lenses from a single fall of little more than coffee table height,and disintegrating ear thingies that i really don't understand at all.........while my 2/$15 buck cheapo's took dozens of spills from ladders etc...i never had my ray bans long enough to get scratched....
  20. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i'm going to look into those....maybe ray ban can convince me they are worthy of one more chance.....another durable pair i had was tasco shooting glasses but the lenses were just huge and looked kinda weird on me....
  21. elgecko

elgecko

If you do get some, don't get the glass prescription lenses. Get the lightest ones you can. It's an amazing experience...almost like you're not wearing them.