Ray Davies and Chrissie Hynde's Daughter Guilty of 'Besetting'

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

She looks a lot like her mom.
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

Um, is it just me, or does she seem to have scars up and down her left arm?
  4. slobake

YIKES! You're right. I'm not sure if I am willing to jump to the obvious conclusion.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

They look like little slash marks.
  7. Immigrant

Immigrant

I'll jump there. I've known my share of cutters and that's what it looks like.

She DOES look like her mom(!) with some Davies sprinkled in.
  8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Looks like she was a "cutter"
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Had an ex who used to cut, scars looked just like that.
  10. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Look at me!

Look at me!

Look at... c'mon... ...me ?

Um... Fracking !!

Fracking !!

Fracking !!

Yeah I know. I'm frequently on the wrong side of popular sentiment.
  11. slobake

I never heard of her before this. All I know about her is what I read in the article. Based on what little I know, I am not prepared to make any assumptions about her.
  12. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

That's because you're a better human being.

That's been painfully obvious for quite a while.
  13. slobake

Or less honest. :bag::p At first I thought the marks were tracks, it was a struggle but I kept quiet about it. It turns out my first assumption was probably wrong. More informed people than me have commented here.

Whenever I believe I am a better human being than someone else I almost always end up in sheep dit.
  14. hbarcat

hbarcat

It was immediately obvious to me from the picture that she cut her arms. I know more than one person (including someone very close and dear to me) who has similar scars.

I refuse to make the natural assumption that she must be an idiot or a nutcase and we can dismiss her message because of these scars. Just because she is/was a cutter doesn't mean that her socio-political views are invalid. Her ideas will have to stand or fall on their own.

Frankly, I don't know jack about the issue of fracking and don't feel comfortable offering any opinion on the subject. But I do feel a certain respect for people who risk their own well being (such as arrest, fines and jail time) in nonviolent protest to further the cause of something they believe is right.

[​IMG]
  15. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Really?...
    Really??

Would you say that about the Westboro Baptist Church or some other wacko group?

nut jobs are nut jobs...
  16. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

We only believe in freedom of speech if we believe in applying the principle to those with whom we disagree. I would happily punch Fred Phelps in the nose, but I also spent five years in the US Navy to defend his freedom to say things that are extremely offensive to me.

As for the lady in question, who is pointing out the questionable nature of fracking... I appreciate her efforts. Fracking is questionable, and it is releasing toxic chemicals into water supplies. It's not nearly as safe as fuel companies want you to believe it is.

America really needs to get on board the sustainable / renewable energy research train. This is the country that put a robot into orbit of Saturn and has kept it operating for over a decade now, doing amazing science. We can't put some of that ingenuity to work in safe, sustainable power generation? We're a country that spends more on national defense than the next 11 largest spenders combined. We can't spend some of that on safe, sustainable power generation?
  17. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

hmmmm....that's interesting....i agree with some of what you say, but disagree with with a lot

you were in the navy and defending fred phelps right to free speech....good job! BUT....you'd happily punch him in the nose?

contradiction!.... for what, exactly, would you punch him in the nose?....i am not aware that he either initiated violence nor threatened violence....correct me if i am wrong. besides, there are enough people engaged in pursuing THEIR rights to free speech to hound him when he shows up....god bless everybody involved, as long as what they exercise is JUST speech, and doesn't cross the line of violence.

and yet you love this lady because you agree with her position, despite the fact that she did physically prevent others from carrying out lawful activity....now, granted, what she did did not have very much of an impact on the other's rights and i am not gonna get too fussed about it, but the fact remains, you want to punch the guy who just exercises his rights, while applauding the one who steps over the line

all because you agree with one and do not agree with the other!....i cry hypocrisy....you should have stopped with defending fred phelps (and not listening to him if that is your preference), rather than advocating violence against him who was not violent.

as for your last paragraph, i can't really disagree with anything you say there, until you get into the same ol' argument about using the defense budget to fund whatever pet projects you think deserve the money more.

whether you like it or not, defense fills a legitimate need, and we need what we need of it.....as we will likely find out in the not too distant future

and by making the arguments you make in the last paragraph, you change the subject...no doubt trying to deflect attention away from the lady nut-job in question...i say nut-job because of the tactics she employs....make your arguments to the world like a civilized grown-up,,,,don't engage in childish stunts

just saying...:D

[​IMG]
  18. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Freedom is the right to take responsiblity for your own actions. Fred Phelps advocates terrible things happening to people like me. Given the oprotunity, yes, I would punch him in the nose... and then I would expect to be facing assault charges.

Defense does have a purpose. I don't disagree. I spent years as part of that defense, and don't propose anything radical like disarming and hoping that the world plays nice with us. The world has walls, and those walls need people with guns to stand on them. Yes, I do know who I'm paraphrasing, thank you.

But...

Does the United States really need to outspend the rest of the developed world combined on military technology? Personally, I'd be happy to see us as friends of Democracy everywhere... but defenders only of our own.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Consarned besetters ...
  20. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

you are obviously a sincere person, so please don't think i am picking on you, but, rather, your arguments.

and, you are honest....but i am saying that if you claim the right to punch him and suffer the consequences, you do 2 things that you probably haven't thought through

1. you give anyone else who disagrees with you the right to punch you and face the consequences.

2. you negate the good you did in defending free speech...as you pointed out in your first paragraph above, free speech means especially speech we disagree with....and if everyone claimed the right to punch someone with whom they disagree, we really wouldn't have free speech anymore, would we.

OR?........:D

[​IMG]
  21. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member