1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ray Schulman-Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NOVAX, Feb 20, 2012.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

I just wanted to say that this guy floors me with his tone, his note choice, his groove, everything. The track 'In a Glass House' in particular is so damn interesting.:cool: Anyone else? OK Shulman. It's been awhile.
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

All of the Shulman brothers are terrific musicians. I have my share of Gentle Giant albums. One of my favorite lines is in the "round" played at the end of "All The Same".
  3. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

One of the outstanding bassists of the prog-rock era IMHO

To this day I am still in awe of his ability to both keep perfect time and make it groove despite the truly mind-boggling complexity of the time signatures those guys routinely played in, with the tone of the bass sitting in the mix perfectly

Also some pretty impressive skills on violin, and a fine singer as well

Gentle Giant - On Reflection 1978 BBC [HQ] - YouTube

Needless to say I've been a fan ever since I heard them for the first time - on the radio, no less!

4. ksandvik

ksandvik

Maybe the best prog rock band ever. Also the least known one.
  5. NOVAX

NOVAX

Just The Same? He blazes on acoustic guitar too.
  6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Premiata Forneria Marconi? Triumvirat?
    Goblin? UK? Caldera? Starcastle?
    ;)
  7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I messed up twice, the song I was thinking of was On Reflection. Thanks AnchorHoy.
  8. bassobrutto

bassobrutto

You can tell that Ray is a great all-round musician just from the way he goes about playing the bass. He sees possibilities that just would not occur to most others. GG are like a musical world unto themselves. They just don't sound like anyone else, and Ray fits them perfectly. I would guess the main reason they are not more widely appreciated, and never really have been, is because they avoided musical clichés and are a bit more challenging than the more mainstream prog acts.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

The Canterbury sound...on steroids! :p

But sorry, I've just got a mental block on GG. While in college, I had a dormitory neighbor who would habitually wake me @ 6:00 am to the strains of Gentle Giant - at 9.5 on the Richter scale - while I was trying to sleep off a hangover! :eek: :spit:

The chronic sonic trauma permanently singed my cerebral cortex - and I've never been the same ever since... :atoz:

MM
  10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I love Gentle Giant, and agree that Ray is a perfect fit for the band. His creativity is sometimes less overt than other better-known prog-rock bass monsters...I know it took me a while to recognize how brilliantly bizarre yet effective his lines were.

fwiw, this is one (out of many) of my favorite Gentle Giant tunes:
    Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head - YouTube
  11. Noak2

Noak2

One of the greatest bands ever, no doubt.
    One of my biggest influences. Learning to play Gentle Giant songs have been some of the most fun I've had as a bassist.
  12. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

It doesn't get much better than them. Ray also used one of few P tones I really like.
  13. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Pretty much agree with everything said, and yes he played (plays?) a P-bass. Imagine that.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Gentle Giant is not only one of my favorite prog bands but one of my favorite all time bands. My first encounter with them was they were a last minute replacement opening band for a Humble Pie concert in my town. I never heard of them or knew that they were playing until they hit the stage and opened with The Advent of Panurge and I was a hooked fan ever since. What a pleasant surprise they were and I went out and bought their Octopus album that week and many albums afterward.

many people don't this about Derek Shulman from Gentle Giant.

Following his recording career, Shulman became a prominent record executive. Starting as an A&R representative at PolyGram Records, where he rose to the ranks of Senior Vice President, he signed Bon Jovi, Dan Reed Network, Cinderella, and Kingdom Come, among many others. in 1988 he became President and C.E.O of Atco Records (where he signed the progressive metal band Dream Theater as well as Pantera). He also re-established the careers of AC/DC and Bad Company both of whom sold multi-platinum albums under his watch. He then went on to become President of Roadrunner Records overseeing signings like Slipknot and Nickelback. In March 2010 Derek Shulman established a new venture with international music impresario Leonardo Pavkovic called 2PLUS Music & Entertainment.
  15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

And many people don't know Ray Schulman produced the Sugarcubes debut album Life's Too Good
  16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

And he discovered Nickleback. An ass wart on an otherwise great musical career.
  17. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Isn't it spelled Shulman? I'm just askin'
  18. ksandvik

ksandvik

OK, I give up, I don't know each and every prog band from Croatia, Nova Scotia, New Zealand or Micronesia.
  19. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

How do you feel about England, Germany, and Italy?

;)
  20. LeoSash

LeoSash

Amazing, simply amazing. Makes me wanna get a P-bass of my own.