RC @ the Blue Note - what strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jloehrke, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jloehrke

jloehrke

Saw Ron's band at the Blue Note last nite. BTW, he's not getting younger, and anyone who hasn't seen this master in person should do so and get a master class. He had a lifeline pickup and a big speaker up on a pole right behind his head; hope he's not experiencing hearing loss. I couldn't id his strings. Anyone able to? With my bad eyes under the colored bandstand lights it looked like the bottom 3 were kind of coppery/velvet looking with red bottom windings and ball-ends. The G was silvery or almost white, also with red windings. Sounded like the old pre-labella-black Ron. Very warm and clear.
  2. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent

I was sitting at the bar so it's hard to say for sure. All I saw were the red silks at the tailpiece and assumed they were spirocores. Whatever they were, they sounded much nicer than the black labellas IMHO.
  3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    See the thread about The new LaBella white tapes.
  4. jloehrke

jloehrke

The g str. did look kinda white, but the bottom 3 were different - to my eyes a coppery look, with that coarse sort of round wound look that velvets have, but with balls at the tailpiece end, unlike the velvets that I've had (haven't seen them all) that have a loop like guts.
  5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Another test string from Labella?
  6. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent

BTW I was told that Mr. Carter doesn't like his amp on the ground because he finds that it makes the drummer play louder. Who knew :)
  7. jloehrke

jloehrke

I've seen a set of the new "white" labellas, and that's what he was using. Calling them white is misleading. They look as I described them in my previous posts.