RD Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felix Riley, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

All owners of RD basses, I am thinking of joining your ranks, but first, I must know what you think of RD's, and how they play, sound, etc. Please help! :help:

2. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Well, they are HEAVY! And have a touch of Neck Dive. I have an Artist, the electronics are from the 70's. Kinda Quirky at best. (Expander & Compressor) They have a Great Sound though! They look pretty cool, and always get attention!

My son playing the Family 1977 RD Artist in FireBrand

[​IMG]

Me playing a Hot-Rodded 1978 RD Standard.
    [​IMG]

3. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Yes, they are heavy. I also have a 1978 RD Artist model with the Moog electronics. Since I have short fingers I think the 34.5" scale is something for me to get used to. It sounds great (but so do others). I liked the guitar version, so I also wanted the bass. It looks cool and I like the electronics. I think Gibson planned to have this bass sound similar to an Alembic. It can get quite trebly.

4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Yes. I saw a ProtoType guitar that had the RD body and the Victory neck/headstock, and it looked Really Good! I looked into haveing a bass Modded to look like that, but it would be Waaay too expensive, and in the end would look a lot like a ThnderBird.

Also notice where i moved the tail strap point. This REALLY help neutralize the neck dive.. A No-No for a collectable, but for a player, Why Not!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TNF

TNF

I've got these two.
    [​IMG]
    The one in the back is my favorite bass. I've had it since the mid 90's. I played these two live for many years. Both are very heavy, indestructible, and sound great through a cranked SVT!

I don't use the one in front enough since I have been playing guitar lately.
    [​IMG]

7. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

Best bass I ever owned, and they'll bury me with it. When I play anything else, it feels like cheating on my wife. It is the other half of the team, and I love it. I have sold all my other basses, including the RD Standard, but will never sell this one, even if I go totally deaf. It can do anything any bass I've ever owned can do, except one; the Steinberger. It can't be light! I often get complemented on my tone (not so much my playing!), so, I vote yes! Weight is about 15 pounds soaking wet. All the finish worn off the neck is mine, and we bond. It has played for me when I drank too much, gotten me laid, gotten me home, paid my tabs, had my back; better than any friend, it has never let me down. I once played in a band, and met a girl I thought was THE ONE. The drummer told me I had better love that bass. He was right!

So, what are you waiting for? GET IT NOW!!!

8. uglyrumor

uglyrumor