1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

RD Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felix Riley, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

All owners of RD basses, I am thinking of joining your ranks, but first, I must know what you think of RD's, and how they play, sound, etc. Please help! :help:
  2. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Well, they are HEAVY! And have a touch of Neck Dive. I have an Artist, the electronics are from the 70's. Kinda Quirky at best. (Expander & Compressor) They have a Great Sound though! They look pretty cool, and always get attention!

My son playing the Family 1977 RD Artist in FireBrand

[​IMG]

Me playing a Hot-Rodded 1978 RD Standard.
    [​IMG]
  3. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Yes, they are heavy. I also have a 1978 RD Artist model with the Moog electronics. Since I have short fingers I think the 34.5" scale is something for me to get used to. It sounds great (but so do others). I liked the guitar version, so I also wanted the bass. It looks cool and I like the electronics. I think Gibson planned to have this bass sound similar to an Alembic. It can get quite trebly.
  4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Yes. I saw a ProtoType guitar that had the RD body and the Victory neck/headstock, and it looked Really Good! I looked into haveing a bass Modded to look like that, but it would be Waaay too expensive, and in the end would look a lot like a ThnderBird.

Also notice where i moved the tail strap point. This REALLY help neutralize the neck dive.. A No-No for a collectable, but for a player, Why Not!
  5. TNF

TNF

I've got these two.
    [​IMG]
    The one in the back is my favorite bass. I've had it since the mid 90's. I played these two live for many years. Both are very heavy, indestructible, and sound great through a cranked SVT!

I don't use the one in front enough since I have been playing guitar lately.
    [​IMG]
  6. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

Best bass I ever owned, and they'll bury me with it. When I play anything else, it feels like cheating on my wife. It is the other half of the team, and I love it. I have sold all my other basses, including the RD Standard, but will never sell this one, even if I go totally deaf. It can do anything any bass I've ever owned can do, except one; the Steinberger. It can't be light! I often get complemented on my tone (not so much my playing!), so, I vote yes! Weight is about 15 pounds soaking wet. All the finish worn off the neck is mine, and we bond. It has played for me when I drank too much, gotten me laid, gotten me home, paid my tabs, had my back; better than any friend, it has never let me down. I once played in a band, and met a girl I thought was THE ONE. The drummer told me I had better love that bass. He was right!

So, what are you waiting for? GET IT NOW!!!
  7. uglyrumor

uglyrumor