Re-housing love?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bkbirge, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    So I don't really understand the apparently somewhat recent love for rehousing pedals in custom boxes. I admit some of them look pretty fantastic, just curious if there's more than a cosmetic reason.
  2. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I got into rehousing mainly for functional reasons. I've had a couple pedals that I loved but could not use live because they were too small and had the footswitch too close to the knobs.

For example, here is the EQD Dispatch Master before:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

The larger pedal (same size as Iron Ether, or Fuzzrocious' small enclosures) is much more stable on the board, and the footswitch is now at least 2-3x further away from the knobs.
  3. icecycle66

icecycle66

I've done it for two reasons.

1) Put bigger pedals in smaller spaces. Some pedals are unnecessarily large.

2) Custom layouts. Like MCS4 did. You can move knobs around, switches can be moved, jacks can be moved.
  4. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Ya moving side I/O jacks to top jacks along with the power inputs from side to top are the main reasons for me to rehouse.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Cool, never even thought of ergonomics but that totally makes sense. Some nice pics too, dig the tardis.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

I've done two rehouses so far. Both were for smaller enclosures and custom layouts.
  8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I've never done it personally but had a EHX HOG foot controller rehoused as it made it about 3/4 of the original size. Also had a Behringer BSY-600 Bass Synth re-housed for a MUCH sturdier enclosure with soft-click bypass for ease of holding down a synth note. Lastly I've had a EHX Cathedral rehoused because I love Pokemon so damn much! I still watch it in the morning!
  9. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Top jacks are worth the effort in my opinion. All my DIY are going there and when I finalize my board, I will start in on the re-housing of others if possible. I'd rather have a board of top jack 125B than side jack 1590s.