Re: I think I've been shafted by a fellow TB'er

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by oldrocker, Feb 28, 2008.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

I've seen 2 threads this week regarding transactions here on TB where the seller never sent the items after receiving payment.

Both of these threads were closed by the mods stating that - "This needs to be kept in feedback. "

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought feedback was more for minor disputes like items not as described, poor packing or taking too long to ship ...

These 2 recent threads seem to indicate something much worse - outright theft.

We have a nice community here, if people are going to start ripping TBers off, the mods and the community need a better way to combat this than just giving negative feeback

IMHO
  2. rabid_granny

rabid_granny

Not sure what more you could ask from Talkbass. The forum exists to facilitate communication, not enforce business transactions. It's unfortunate that some people are getting ripped off (my place got robbed and I'm still bitter about it, so I can relate) but the mudslinging can get out of control quickly and ruins the forum for everyone. Best thing is to exercise the same level of caution that one normally would when dealing with an unknown seller and maybe only purchase from reputable forum members.
  3. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

That's a very subjective phrase there. I've read about "reputable" members here ripping people off. Some more than once...probably due to perceived reputation. This is the internet. No one is reputable.

Mike
  4. paul

paul Administrator Administrator

IMO, a public thread is not the place to resolve a dispute between buyer and seller. I've not seen any good come out of it, and it's not possible to distinguish facts or have any kind of 'healthy resolution' when you've effectively generated a torchlit mob of TB'ers, with unverifiable facts on both sides.

A public thread will also not warn future buyer/seller like feedback does - a future buyer/seller when looking at a classified, isn't going to search the entire board for the username - they're going to look in the feedback.

If a TB member is verifiably and without a doubt 'ripping off TB'ers', I have no problem banning them from the site - but that's all I can do. All money disputes have to be settled via the legal system or other recourse. Again nothing that a mob thread on TB will fix.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Then why do the "mob threads" take so long to get shut down? Were there no moderators on this weekend when the latest ebay scammer thread got going?
  7. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Especially in the Basses forum where there is so much activity, the mods might not have seen the thread. That's why it's so important that TB'ers report threads.

That said, if I am thinking of the same thread you are, that wasn't a TB deal gone bad. I'm not sure that situation is exactly what Paul was referring to, but I haven't had my second cup o' coffee yet either...

:D
  8. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Right, it wasn't a TB deal, but the alleged scammer was a TBer, and it got U-G-L-Y!
  9. rabid_granny

rabid_granny

I must confess I haven't been visiting Talkbass regularly for the last few years because I was too busy with my band so I can't comment on the issue of reputable members ripping other people off. What I can say is that TB is way better than other forums. I remember a time when there was a drunk troll posting non-stop for a few hours over the weekend. A few of the moderators, who didn't have the authority to ban him, were pushing his threads back to prevent them from appearing on the main pages.

I agree with Paul. Talkbass is the medium for making deals, not an enforcement tool. It's unfair to place that burden on Paul and the other volunteer moderators.
  10. neurotictim

neurotictim

+1

While I agree with wanting the general populace to know about a deal gone sour (or being ripped off, as the case may be) I can't get behind having it out on a public forum.
  11. systemsdevelope

systemsdevelope

I had a recent deal go bad and the TB'r has removed the listing of the item for sale...question for the moderators : Are you able to put the listing/Posting back up so i can rate it appropriately - thus the TB'r won't have a "100%" positive anymore. Please advise me.
  12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

Media:
    use the 'contact us' link at bottom of page and send details - other party / item description etc and we can get the thread restored so it can be used to leave feedback