Re-tubing Stands - help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deeptubes, Mar 21, 2014.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

This may be in the wrong forum. Not sure, didn't know where else to stick it.
    Some time ago, I remember reading a thread about re-tubed guitar stands. Someone used a different material (vinyl?, pvc?) than the original and it ate away at the nitro where the bass cradled in the stand. I can't find it. Does anyone remember that thread, or did it happen to you? Trying to figure out what material to avoid. Haven't been able to dig up any 3/8" i.d. latex locally.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I use these without any issues

[​IMG]
  3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Thanks, mjac.

But, let me clarify. I have some Ultra stands that I've had and used for about 15 years. The rubber is dry and has started splitting. I'm trying to determine what material to avoid when re-tubing.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Vinyl is the enemy of nitro finishes. Avoid.
  5. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I use automotive rubber hose on mine. It works great on my DB stand, and it works fine on my regular stands as well.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My bad :)
  7. deeptubes

deeptubes

No, that's mine. Should've put that info in the first post.

Thanks, Turnaround. That's kind of what I was thinking but unsure.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have just ran a strip of white athletic tape (cloth) along where the body or neck contacts the stand on my nitro basses, and never had an issue ...
  9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

10. MD

MD

Maybe pipe insulation? Probably easy to work with and pretty cushy too.
  11. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

3/8 fuel line from your local Auto Zone is what I have on all my stands. Doesn't affect finishes and lasts forever.
    Slips on easily and it's cheap.
  12. edpal

edpal Thread enda or defenda - makes me no neva mind. Gold Supporting Member

1/2" heat shrink tubing..Home Depot, electrical dept.. WIll never slip off once shrunk down(hair dryer on high, cig. lighter).
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

The only problem is that if I recall correctly ( I could be wrong) it was black rubber tubing that had the bad reation with nitro!

Personally I'd avoid rubber (it disolves in solvents...that's how you make rubber cement) and I'd avoid vinyl because it's full of plasticizers. Tygon tubing is like that. I'd say thats just asking for trouble.

I'd try to go with things that WON'T dissolve in solvents. cloth might be good (white athletic tape) so long as the glue doesn't seep through it. I think my personal choice would be shrink tubing as edpal suggests. Nice and chemically inert. Shrinks right onto the parts. And comes in all kind of sizes to fit anything.

For my nitro instruments (Gibson LP etc) I have a cheapo stand where I removed the rubber tubing and installed some large diameter electrical spaghetti. Unlike shrink tube it doesn't conform to stand but is sort of a cloth-based athletic tape looking tube without the glue so it seemed pretty inert to me. I've used it for a long time now (years) and have seen absolutely NO reactions with the nitro finishes.

So I guess I got lucky. The problem is if you guess wrong you damage an expensive instrument! Probably now that I think about it, the best way would be the old school way of simply wrapping the stand with a long strip of felt. Soft, non-scratching, and totally chemically inert.
  14. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

This.
  15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Never thought of the heat shrink. That may be the way to go.
  16. Frankly I don't trust ANY of the tubing material on the market with my finishes. They all have an abundance of various harmful chemical compounds from what my research has revealed.

If you want to be sure - take the easy way and buy the Sadowsky protective booties which go over the tubing and protect your precious honey.

Description: Protect your nitro finished neck from potentially damaging stand or hanger rubbers. Prevents melted or stained finish from chemical reactions. These furry covers are nitro safe and easily slip onto the neck and body support of your stand. Recommended for all instruments with nitrocellulose lacquer.
    Neck and Body

[​IMG]

Only $9.95 for both. Order here:

http://www.sadowsky.com/store/nitroguard-neck-and-body.html

Could be the best ten bucks you ever spent!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

The big offender was that pale yellow surgical tubing. Not sure what brand of stands had used it. I use only Hercules stands. Many guitar companies and luthiers recommend them.