1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

re-wiring a 6x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by levisixguns, Feb 27, 2008.

1. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok. theres a few posts on this but none of them actually answer any of my questions, so i'll keep this simple

i have a 6x10 cab, an old acoustic corporation cab from the mid 70's. most people would say its a lost cause but i want to put in all new speakers and new wiring all while trying to make it a 4 ohm cab.

i play through an ampeg b5r with this rig so if there is a way i can wire it to work like two 4 ohm cabs just built together, that would work too.

i just can't figure out what kind of speakers i should get or how i should wire them in the cab to make it work correctly.

any advice?
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

you'd need 6 ohm speakers if you wired the cab series/parallel or 24 ohm speakers if you wired them in parallel.
  3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Hmmmm...

2 4ohm speakers wired in series, 4 8ohm speakers wired in series/parallel, then those two combinations wired in series.

I'm guessing, I could be very wrong about that.
  4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Disclosures:
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  5. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok so i DID do my math right

where do i find 6 ohm or 24 ohm speakers?
    thats why i figured there was a different way cuz i can't find them anywhere.

which route would be the easiest/cheapest/best sounding?
  6. coreyfyfe

the shavano page is a great resource. i forgot they detail all the oddball combos in there.

the numbers i gave you above works for equal power sharing across all speakers but in the shavano page is a way to do it with a combo of 4 and 8 ohm speakers
  7. levisixguns

levisixguns

thanks joegeezer.

those links answered all my questions perfectly.
  8. coreyfyfe

when i re-did my 6x10 i just used 8 ohm speakers (wired series/parallel like the original 6 ohm speakers had been) and made it a 5.3 ohm load which my svt-cl could handle fine. i dont have experience with the b5r and couldn't tell you how it would handle a 5.3 ohm load but i would assume since its a solid state amp, it shouldnt be a problem.

thats the simplest way to do things and still get equal power across all the speakers. otherwise, you'd have to find someone who sells 6 or 24 ohm speakers or make a mix-n-match cab.
  9. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok so if i use all 8 ohm speakers, 5.33 ohms is good enough cuz then i can't possibly blow any of them

my next concern is wattage though

if all 6 8 ohm speakers are wired series/parallel like you said, and each speaker is rated at 150 watts rms , how would i figure up the rms of the whole cab cuz i'm probably gonna step up to an SVT head soon and i wanna make sure i get one that the cab can handle.
  10. coreyfyfe

if the speakers are rated at 150 W each you should be fine, but if youre stepping up to an SVT (tube) head just remember that 5.3 isnt perfect for that. I ran mine that way for over a year with no issues (set at 4 ohms) and I was told by the guys at Ampeg that running it at 5.3 wasn't too far a varience from 4 that it wouldn't cause any damage, but i wouldn't want to steer you wrong here.

I used 8 ohm eminence bp102's in my cab which i think are 200W each, but i'm not sure. either way, they were fine with the power of the classic, and ive since put 4 of those speakers into my current 4x10.
  11. Johnny Mack

Johnny Mack

always add the speaker wattages together, in your case 6 150w would total 900w.
  12. anderbass

anderbass

It wont be cheap, but maybe you could score a set of 24 ohm NV610 speakers from Bergantino. I believe the NV cabs are similarly sized (2'wide/3'tall/15"deep) to yours. These drivers are intended for sealed cabs so If your cab is ported you could simply plug-em off.

ps:
    Here's a current thread regarding the purchase of 10" Berg NV drivers:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410150
    (note, Jim never did say he wouldn't sell these speakers outright)