re-wiring a 6x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by levisixguns, Feb 27, 2008.

1. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok. theres a few posts on this but none of them actually answer any of my questions, so i'll keep this simple

i have a 6x10 cab, an old acoustic corporation cab from the mid 70's. most people would say its a lost cause but i want to put in all new speakers and new wiring all while trying to make it a 4 ohm cab.

i play through an ampeg b5r with this rig so if there is a way i can wire it to work like two 4 ohm cabs just built together, that would work too.

i just can't figure out what kind of speakers i should get or how i should wire them in the cab to make it work correctly.

any advice?
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

you'd need 6 ohm speakers if you wired the cab series/parallel or 24 ohm speakers if you wired them in parallel.
  3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Hmmmm...

2 4ohm speakers wired in series, 4 8ohm speakers wired in series/parallel, then those two combinations wired in series.

I'm guessing, I could be very wrong about that.
  4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Disclosures:
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok so i DID do my math right

where do i find 6 ohm or 24 ohm speakers?
    thats why i figured there was a different way cuz i can't find them anywhere.

which route would be the easiest/cheapest/best sounding?
  7. coreyfyfe

the shavano page is a great resource. i forgot they detail all the oddball combos in there.

the numbers i gave you above works for equal power sharing across all speakers but in the shavano page is a way to do it with a combo of 4 and 8 ohm speakers
  8. levisixguns

levisixguns

thanks joegeezer.

those links answered all my questions perfectly.
  9. coreyfyfe

when i re-did my 6x10 i just used 8 ohm speakers (wired series/parallel like the original 6 ohm speakers had been) and made it a 5.3 ohm load which my svt-cl could handle fine. i dont have experience with the b5r and couldn't tell you how it would handle a 5.3 ohm load but i would assume since its a solid state amp, it shouldnt be a problem.

thats the simplest way to do things and still get equal power across all the speakers. otherwise, you'd have to find someone who sells 6 or 24 ohm speakers or make a mix-n-match cab.
  10. levisixguns

levisixguns

ok so if i use all 8 ohm speakers, 5.33 ohms is good enough cuz then i can't possibly blow any of them

my next concern is wattage though

if all 6 8 ohm speakers are wired series/parallel like you said, and each speaker is rated at 150 watts rms , how would i figure up the rms of the whole cab cuz i'm probably gonna step up to an SVT head soon and i wanna make sure i get one that the cab can handle.
  11. coreyfyfe

if the speakers are rated at 150 W each you should be fine, but if youre stepping up to an SVT (tube) head just remember that 5.3 isnt perfect for that. I ran mine that way for over a year with no issues (set at 4 ohms) and I was told by the guys at Ampeg that running it at 5.3 wasn't too far a varience from 4 that it wouldn't cause any damage, but i wouldn't want to steer you wrong here.

I used 8 ohm eminence bp102's in my cab which i think are 200W each, but i'm not sure. either way, they were fine with the power of the classic, and ive since put 4 of those speakers into my current 4x10.
  12. Johnny Mack

Johnny Mack

always add the speaker wattages together, in your case 6 150w would total 900w.
  13. anderbass

anderbass

It wont be cheap, but maybe you could score a set of 24 ohm NV610 speakers from Bergantino. I believe the NV cabs are similarly sized (2'wide/3'tall/15"deep) to yours. These drivers are intended for sealed cabs so If your cab is ported you could simply plug-em off.

ps:
    Here's a current thread regarding the purchase of 10" Berg NV drivers:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410150
    (note, Jim never did say he wouldn't sell these speakers outright)