1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Read Purity Pre chrome face $750

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by mr.redpants, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

It greatly pains me to post this great unit FS. It has been played little over the last 2-3 years.
    Superb shape, as new condition. Please read the reviews on TB and elsewhere. Currently has a telefunken nos in the first position. Sounds awesome to my ears.
    I'm the original owner - I've gone back and forth on passing this on, but I've played it so little lately and given some medical developments need the money and need to thin the gear.
    No trades right now.
    Thanks - pm for pics.

2. jbares

jbares Ragin'Cajun Supporting Member

Smoking tube pre here folks. Not as dry as the Demeter with a little wet/ 3 dimensional punchy warm and extremely musical...miss mine!

3. cubanz

cubanz Supporting Member

I have the chrome face and I love it! I have a PDF of the manual thanks to a fellow TBer. PM me if you're interested in it. Thanks to the manual I discovered that the Bass flat setting is 9 o'clock, Low Mid 3 o'clock, High Mid 3 o'clock, Treble 12 o'clock - whodathunkit? With my Fender Precision Deluxe I leave the Read flat and use the bass's controls to get what I need which is never much. It's called Purity for a reason. Put a good bass through it and you get good bass. Someone's gonna be happy! GLWTS

4. iualum

iualum

Arguably the best bass preamp available. Certainly among the very best any way you want to slice it. Yes, someone's going to be mucho happy, indeed!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

pics attached
    My skill set doesn't include photographing chrome - pm me for more.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

7. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

skill set improving

Attached Files:

8. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

9. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

How does this compare in output level to the Demeter VTBP-201S?

One thing I am curious about -- these both do not have balanced line level outputs. Can anyone explain why that is?
    Thanks!

10. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

In answer to the first question, about the same I think. I haven't owned both at once (though I have owned both).

The second ?, I can't knowledgably answer that....

11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I think the XLR is a balances line-level output. That's how I connected the pre to my power amp when I owned the Read.

12. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Or just use the line out with a balanced 1/4 plug/cable.

The reason the 1/4 out is unbalanced may be because it is line level, not instrument level and, as I understand it (but I don't know why), line level 1/4 outs are unbalanced (while instrument level outs are balanced).

But, the real point is that this is an awesome pre (and somewhat "collectible," I'd say, since it's a prototype) and someone should snag it.

13. FBassed

FBassed

With all due respect, I would find something else to sell first.

Absolutely ROCKS a Berg IP thru the line out with adj level DI to the house. I play mostly with the EQ bypassed. Love that switch. Sweet, purely awesome pre.

Have a Kern and a Demeter as well. The Read's my personal favorite.

14. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

15. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Free bump. Don't sell this, but if you do, my original offer's still good. :D

16. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Still available . . . .

17. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Please don't sell this! You are making a huge mistake!!!! An amazing pre!!!! I almost did and a few TB'ers here talked me off the ledge. I'm glad I kept it. Now, If anyone tried to take mine, they would have to pry it out of my Kung Fu Grip! LOL!

Also, to clear something up. Line level 1/4" outputs are not necesarily unbalanced, in fact they are usually balanced in the pro audio field. The question is, is it true balanced? In other words, is the AC voltage divided up evenly on the tip and ring equalling 1.227 Volts, or is all the voltage on the tip of the TRS connection, which is not true balanced, even though some manufacturers claim it to be. Instrument connections are usually unbalanced (TS connections).

The Read XLR out is a balanced out as indicated in the manual. The Balanced XLR out and the Line out is fed from the 12AU7 tube in the pre. The XLR out is isolated by a transformer so you have level control to front of house.

Also, Jack indicates in the manual that the XLR out is balanced, but does not specify what the line out is. Typically in guitar and bass preamps, the line out would be an unbalanced (TS) connection. But please don't assume every time you see a 1/4" line out connection it is unbalanced. In fact, its quite possible that the Line out is balanced on the Read Pre, but Jack failed to indicate it in the manual. I never opened my Read pre up to confirm if its balanced or not. Whatever the case, this is definitely not a deal breaker. I use a TS cable from the line out into my Crest Pro lite amp and it sounds wonderful, and I have PLENTY of volume.

Hope this clears some things up. In any event, this is an amazing pre which rivals my Monique pre. I've said it many times before here. I really hope you change your mind and keep it. I still use mine for certain gigs, and basically just use the emphasis knob, and deep switch, and I bypass the eq. Tonal bliss!

GLWTS.

18. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

19. Dietz

Dietz

Wow, didn't expect to see this thread revived. I love my Read Purity!

20. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

...and still available...make me an offer.