1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

READ PURITY PRE Excellent Condition

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by sleevey55, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

For sale is my beloved Read Purity pre amp. This as you may all know is arguably one of the best pre's ever made. This thing is handwired point to point and has a 12ax7 and a 12au7 for that great tube warmth. Tubes test great and wont need changed for a long long time. NOS EI 12ax7 and a NOS RCA 12au7. These are getting harder and harder to come by, so I imagine this wont be here long. Im asking $575.00 shipped cont US only. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. sleevey55

more..

Attached Files:

3. sleevey55

And more.....

Attached Files:

4. sleevey55

And....

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sleevey55

7. 5stringthumpin

5stringthumpin Supporting Member

Very nice and increasingly rare pre amp at a great price from a great TB'er. Puh-POW!
  8. cubanz

cubanz Supporting Member

Got mine. Can't live long enough to need to stockpile 'em. GLWTS.
    I've got a PDF of the Read Purity manual for whoever ensconces themselves (watched too many Seinfeld episodes last nite) with the fine sound of this pre. Purity is so true with this pre. With active electronic basses I never engage the EQ on mine - just use the onboard pre to shape the sound.
  9. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Media:
    I almost sold mine until a few TB'ers here talked me out of it. So glad I didn't sell it. This is a phenomenal preamp and a great deal. GLWTS!
  10. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

I had Jack do some fretwork on a Guild while he was in the early stages of developing this pre. Got to try out the super-simple original design which had I think just one or two knobs - it sounded great! So bump for a not-many-of-these-around piece.
  11. sleevey55

Thanks guys....hoping I get some interest soon.
  12. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

If I was putting together a rack rig, this would be purchase #1 right here. Killer pre, GLWS!
  13. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Free bump for a great pre. How come yours has those cool blue knobs? Mine are black. GLWTS, DM
  14. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Got to try one out in the development stages at Jacks house. Super clean preamplifier. Cleanest ive ever played thru.
  15. maisbass

Media:
    I have mine in a Gator rack with a Crest prolite 2.0. It absolutely crushes! And that emphasis knob is my fav! It is the secret sauce!
  16. sleevey55

Thanks fellas!! Now, if only it would get some interest! PRICE DROP!!!!!
  17. iualum

iualum

IMHO, no better preamp, although there are a few others as good depending on what you're looking for.

GLWTS.
  18. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I wonder if fewer players know about Jack and the amazing stuff he created. He used to be very involved in the bass community and was recognized as an authority. But now that hes dropped out of the bass scene the next generation knows little if him. Only old timers like us seem to know what a rare gem this unit is.
  19. maisbass

Media:
    Sleevey 55 don't mean to hijack your FS thread, but I am passionate about this pre and I hope someone buys it soon from you.

Fwiw, I did an a/b comparison of the read to Monique, and I have to say that the read held its own to Monique. In fact, I feel it is just as good, but it depends upon what you are looking for.

They are both very clean pres with Tubey goodness. I would say the main difference I found with both pres flat is that Monique tends to be darker and a little beefier in the low end. The read tends to be more hifi yet still very warm with articulate mids. That's not to say you can't get the read to sound big in the bottom, cause you can achieve that as well, but not as big as Monique. But you can get a killer slap tone out of the read, I feel better than Monique.

So anyone out there looking for a tube pre and perhaps considering a Monique but don't really have the money to spend, then jump on this at this bargain price. You will not regret it. I still use mine and I own a Monique.

GLWTS!
  20. sleevey55

Now $575 shipped con US. This is a killer price on a killer pre!!!!
  21. EduardoK

EduardoK Gold Supporting Member

If I didn't have one myself already... GLWTS, killer price!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.