1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reading P-bass serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeSonyr, Jan 12, 2014.

1. LeSonyr

LeSonyr Supporting Member

Hi Gang,

I am sorry is there is a sticky or another thread that answers this question, but I can't find it.

I have a P-bass of unknown origin. A photo of the headstock is attached. I don't know whether to read the serial number with or without the "E". I tried looking up both. Without it, it is was built in the 70s. With it, it was built in the 80s.

I'd really like to get the value of it because a friend wants to sell it to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114206874@N02/11908844184/

2. Figjam

Figjam

Use the E. E Series are great 80s instruments. It might be against forum rules to ask for an instruments value in this manner but I am not sure. Do some googling.

3. LeSonyr

The serial number info is all I wanted. Thanks!!!

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a 1983ish Fender, one of the last made at the Fullerton, CA factory. They are generally considered to be quality instruments, but can to be heavy and are perhaps ssomewhat overpriced on the used market.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That is no ordinary Fender Precision, that is a Precision Elite. Fender made them from 82-84 I believe, there is a great site on the net from another TBer you should check out (see some of the crazy finishes they offered.) The pickup is active, the tone knob (TBX tone control) works like a normal tone knob when you roll it off and increases the highs and lows when you crank it up. This things were Fender's top offering back in their day. I had one and it was a pretty solid player, I ended up selling it to a musician touring through town.

The bass appears to have the fine point tuning bridge, it should have a tilt-able neck, the neck plate has a little hole in, just loosen the neck a little and there is a set screw that works like a shim, ensure that works as well. Do not forget to check the truss! Those knobs are proper, and their should be strap locks as well.

I cannot offer you a price quote unless you are a supporting member but you know what your looking at so you can figure it out.

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I didn't notice the body picture. DiabolusInMusic is right. That is a Precision Elite I, in the fairly rare trans-green finish.

8. LeSonyr

Quote: I cannot offer you a price quote unless you are a supporting member but you know what your looking at so you can figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. Called out on not being a supporting member. And rightfully so. Fair enough; I lurk plenty. I just paid my $$.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Technically that 'rare trans-green' is a 'rare jewel tone Emerald Green' finish. They did Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald.

10. RobSatFender

RobSatFender Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Director, Customer Service, Fender
    +1

11. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

I'm not sure what one of these is going for, right now, but if the price is right, jump on it quick. Those Fullerton Fenders are really NICE! Maybe not quite vintage, yet, but they are headed that way. I wish I had friends like yours.