1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ready-Made Bridge Cable for Peavey IPR Series (where can I buy one)?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

From my reading thus far, I see that in order to run it in bridge-mode, I have to have a custom-made cable (two speakons from the outputs of the amp to one for the cab). Is anyone aware of a custom cable maker that makes these up (reasonable price)?

2. Quadzilla

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Let me check the manual and get back to you. I have some cable around the joint and can probably make you one. I'll get back to you this late PM.

Riis

4. Quadzilla

Wow, that would be very cool of you. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Is this the IPR or IPR II? I understand there have been revisions.

Riis

7. Quadzilla

IPR (first version)

8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

You could do it as a breakout box instead, pretty easy if you use a plastic electrical box. More cables that way though...

9. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Wow, sign me up for one also. Be happy to pay for cable and shipping.

11. Zooberwerx

Last ones I made were 4 conductor biamp with a "Y" for two separate power amps. Hard part is adding strain relief once we've removed the jacket insulation. I hate to see single conductors (red, black) hanging out the business end of a Speakon...no offense to the poster.

Riis

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

13. Quadzilla

From Bobby B @ Peavey:

Use channel A+ and channel B- speaker outputs. It'd be best to use speakon plugs, but 1/4" plugs will work too if you can solder. Either way, you need 3. Speakon plugs use screw clamp terminals for wire connections. Most have 4 contacts labeled 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. Use only 1+/- for your various +/- connections. Each amp side speakon will obviously only have one wire and should be labeled somehow so you don't mix them up. Buy a speakon cable, and buy an extra speakon plug. Modify the purchased cable.

Connect your input signal to channel A input. Use a patch cable to connect the channel A thru jack to channel B input. Balance the level controls. Rock out.

-Bobby B.

14. BurningSkies

I've been bridging with these directions for a couple years now with no trouble whatsoever. I took the time to order supplies from RedCo, including colored heat shrink (and black), and use quadcore speaker wire so that the unused leads could still be attached/clamped in to the speakon to make it a bit sturdier and more secure. Each separate 'leg' of the amp-end of the cable used heat shrink so I didn't have exposed wires, then I used the colored shrink to signify Red=Right=Amp 1, Green=Left=Amp 2.

15. Zooberwerx

The first one is done and en route to Quadzilla. Let's see how it works out and I'll start on a second. FWIW, I trialed it on my QSC 1602 in parallel mode and it worked like a champ. I had to go into "caveman" mode and used Gorilla tape for strain relief at the Y. The dual conductors on each limb (one each for A & B channels) pass thru a length of 3/8" Tygon tubing for protection plus the added diameter provides purchase for the Speakon strain relief when tightened down. The red & black hit the +1, -1 terminals respectively at the speaker end.

Notice I mentioned dual conductors on each limb? The A channel / red / +1 is accompanied by a blue conductor which is attached to nothing. The B channel / black / -1 is accompanied by a white conductor which, again, is available required. The availability will come in hand if a true bi-amp configuration is ever needed.

Riis

16. BurningSkies

That's similar to what I did. Quad star cable with one core on each branch unused for extra 'beef' what I ended up doing is using thin heat shrink for each branch then more at the juncture and each terminus.

17. Quadzilla

That's sooo awesome Riis! Thank you so very much!!!! :hyper: ;)

18. delta7fred

delta7fred

This is how I did mine, I used both conductors wired in parallel.

You can just about make out the A and B ident sleeves for the IPR end.

[​IMG]

19. Zooberwerx

This looks neater than mine but I was bound and determined to use up the 4 conductor 13 gauge on hand. Nice job!

Riis

20. delta7fred

delta7fred

Thanks Rils

Same with me and 2 core orange cable. I have a 100 metre drum of it so every speaker lead I make is orange!

21. BurningSkies

I hadn't thought of doing it like that, but That's a pretty neat solution. It would also be hard to mix up which speakon goes where. I ended up color coding mine red/green for those purposes.

And Riis, I understand. I used the 14ga canare for mine. Its also what I use for my standard non-bridging cables. I figure once you get up into the multi-kilowatts range it becomes worth it.

http://www.redco.com/Canare-4S11.html