Real newbie

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mrreason, Oct 16, 2013.

1. mrreason

mrreason

Hey Bass Players,

I am a complete 56 year old newbie with a passion to learn to play. I just want to do it for me . I love the beat in all types of music. So i would like to know of your day one experiences learning how to play. I have had the bass for 5 days and only put in dow to eat sleep and work. the rest of the time i am plunking (as my wife says). Any advice. I have noprior musical experience.

Thanks

2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

That is the spirit!

Get some lessons if you can. Buy some Hal Leonard learning books. And most important - have fun!

3. mrreason

mrreason

I have just got Hal Leonard Complete Edition, going to see a teacher Sat.

4. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Congrats and welcome! As someone who came back to bass in his 30's I can tell you that lessons are indispensable. Whatever your personal goals are, or may become, just enjoy the journey.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Came to bass when I was 75 +/- a year or so. Played 6 string rhythm guitar for ever.

Friend ask me to back him up while he sang and played rhythm guitar to his vocals. Said here use my bass. Put the tonic I root note on the 3rd string. The IV chord's root is up a string same fret. The V chord's root is down a string same fret. Watch my fretting hand and change chords when I do. Pounding out roots is OK for now we'll get into the other stuff later. The rest is history.

www.studybass.com will be a friend and the book Bass Guitar for Dummies is a must. The Hal Leonard book mentioned in the other posts will have value also. Anything Ed Friedland writes is worth your time. Ed is the arthur of that Hal Leonard book.

Its root on one, smile, and act like you are having fun - until you are having fun.

7. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Good for you. . .

It will be hard at first. Callouses and all. But hey, once you get the hang of it it will all be worth it.

8. fearceol

fearceol

You are off to a good start on both counts. One thing, dont neglect technique. Learning good left and right hand technique will not only have you playing to the best of your potential, but will help you to avoid possible physical issues at a later time. This should be one of the first things a teacher demonstrates IMO. Make sure to do some gentle warm up stretches before and after a practice session. Search You Tube for "hand stretches for bass or guitar".

Here are some clips on technique to get you started :

Welcome to the low end, and best of luck. :bassist:

9. Edcs2

Edcs2

Great. Stick with it and you will have more fun than you can take. I started 1year ago (62 now) and playing plenty of songs.

Find a good instructor and you will move along much faster.

10. mrreason

mrreason

Thank you all, That's what I needed to hear!

11. fearceol

fearceol

Good for you !!! :)

I thought I was a late starter when eight years ago I took up the bass (admittedly I had played for a while when in my teens)....at the "tender" age of fifty !

OP, it's never too late to start. :bassist:

12. hanzepans

hanzepans Supporting Member

Great to hear from someone who started out playing bass at the tender age of 56 :)

I agree in the suggestions that you should get some lessons from a qualified bass teacher first. There are plenty of great websites to help you learn bass lines, but first start out by getting your basic technique right, and that's something a real teacher can do much faster than a lesson video or book. After you've had some lessons and are a bit further then it's time to start looking for online lessons on websites like www.playbassnow.com or the site in my signature below.

Have fun learning!

Hans

13. Maevvis

Maevvis

Good for you! I am also a "late bloomer" and started bass a couple of years ago. I had studied a little guitar before, but had no musical background and found bass is my passion.

For me, having a great teacher has really helped my progress. I still consider myself a "beginner" but have come a good distance in these years and can play a bunch of tunes and have been playing with a couple of bands for the past year on and off.

So yeah, if you can swing getting a good teacher, then go for it. If not, then those sites are great resources. I've also been to Study Bass myself which has been very helpful and informative.

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of bass guitar and welcome to Talkbass! :hyper:

I would HIGHLY recommend Teach Me Bass Guitar by Roy Vogt. It's the best investment you can do if you want to learn how to play bass. I've got it as well and it is killer!! :D

Check it out here : http://www.teachmebassguitar.com/

15. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Set a few goals of where you want to be a year from now, like
    1) want to read
    2) ready to gig
    3) type of music you want to learn
    4) learn the fret board
    5) learn cycle 5th or 4th
    6) learn theory
    7) develop your internal timing

Just a few

Get a good instructor - this will take time - you want a bass player and degreed if possible.

Supplement your instructor with a method. Check out Ed's books, Roy's TMBG, Scott's method, what your instructor recommends, Dummies, this particular sub forum. Try and pick no more than 2 and finish them before you start a new one.
    There's benefit to doing them all over time.

Visit this forum often - Personally, I recommend this sub forum on TB above all others, it has an unbelievable bunch of active contributers (including Ed and Roy and Scott just to name a few) that can and will answer any question you may have. Resist GAS

Do a little research on a metronome or drum machine - get one or both.

and PRACTICE every day.

Have FUN