Real or Fake 1961 Jazz - discuss.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richntiff, Dec 22, 2013.

1. richntiff

richntiff

2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Looks like an American Vintage '62 Reissue to me. From that bad and very small photo bass looks new.
    Would need to see many more and better pics and see it in person anyways.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I know that when I want to get $15,000 for a guitar, I put it on CL with a single, poor quality photo. I usually keep the description to the bare minimum, and I don't perform due diligence and confirm that what I'm selling is actually what I'm claiming it to be.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

As someone said, for a $15000.00 Bass. You need way better pictures than that.
    I would not go near that without better documentation.
  5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

+1
  6. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High Supporting Member

I would NEVER spend $15K on a bass that I have not first examined, myself, AND, got a second opinion on. Especially one that is claimed to have been a "display" item for 60 years.
    I'm not saying it's a fake, I'm merely pointing out an old, very basic, and extremely apropos, adage: "Buyer beware".
  7. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

reissue
  9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I'm wondering why two of you think it's a reissue? I can't tell if it's real or not, but I can't tell if it's a reissue any better and am wondering what you see that convinces you. Thanks.
  10. pfox14

pfox14

No way to tell for sure without better pix. No way the bass sells with the listing the way that it is.
  11. Davo-London

Davo-London

Something doesn't hang together. Fender stopped the VT VT arrangement in August 1961 if I remember correctly so the bass cannot be '62. The vagueness of the ad is odd since the serial number can normally be reasonably accurately aged.

Davo
  12. MIMike

MIMike

No reason to be uptight over it. The ad clearly states; "This is not an 'as is' sale. The sale will not be complete until the buyer is 100% satisfied with the instrument."
    So, go,check it out, take someone who can help verify its age, and end up 100% satisfied that it either is or is not legit.
  13. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i wouldn't pay 15K for a bass even if paul mccartney was selling it himself.
  14. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

That price could do without the extra 9.
  15. PJRL

PJRL

The problem with something like this is....First you need to be able to sit down with the owner and ID everything to the most minute detail as you look at it. Completly take it apart and date / verify everything.

Yea it looks like a 62 RI but it's just a picture. What's a real 61 worth in 100% original & great condition, not sure....

Tough to buy something like that from a private seller.

Also, I would ask the seller what the serial # is on the neck plate, if it starts with a V then we pretty much know the story on this one....;)
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

The biggest red flag based on the single photo to me is the burst. It's just wrong for a 60's Fender.
  17. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

tort guard looks nothing like a 60s one. AVRI for sure.

from the description, whoever is selling it isn't trying to dupe anyone, they were just duped when they bought it and probably legitimately believe its an actual 62.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Wow, you too?!?! I sell really expensive stuff the same way, especially on Craigslist.
  19. Doctor J

Doctor J

They're not clay dots. Fake.
  20. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Not fake at all, it's an AVRI.