real, serious vintage Fender repair/setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lexington125, Apr 12, 2014.

1. lexington125

lexington125

I have a 61 Precision that I've owned for 30+ years. It was once my regular gigging bass, then became my studio bass when I scored a 64 Precision for silly cheap money. Now that I'm no longer playing 5 nights per week (I now go weeks/ months between gigs) the 61 P-bass sits in its case sometimes for 6 months or more between visits. This lack of attention finally caught up with me and the neck has gone out of adjustment. I need a truss rod tweaking, but this is not an ordinary bass. Besides being a 53 year old custom color, 100% original Fender Precision bass, it is the best sounding Precision that I have ever heard (in person - you can't tell how a recorded bass sound came to be - the amp, the studio, the board - who knows how the sound was produced) This bass through a portaflex (without any EQ tricks) is the sound other gear strives for.

In a perfect world, or if I was somebody famous, I could call up the Fender custom shop and ask them to take care of business. But that is not an option, so I need a local repairman, but not someone who is the 'go to guy for modern technology' cause this bass ain't got no modern technology. There is a guy back in Boston who I trust with this kind of work, but who is "the guy" in LA for the careful work required with half-cnetury old truss rods? Not to be greedy, but the value of this bass drops in half if something goes wrong during the adjustment. Who is trusted with these real vintage instruments?
  2. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

3. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    John Kallas, tb member johnk_10 is THE vintage Fender guy, and he's near you. Use search to see some of the amazing work he's done. He recently gave my '66 Jazz an overhaul and brought to life a '59 P neck that had some real issues.
  4. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Yeah, johnk_10 is the man for vintage restorations and repairs (and build some nice Fender clones as well).