1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Realist Lifeline vs. Full Circle, Output

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LowB-ing, Jul 14, 2013.

1. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Hi all,

I know there are few people here that have used both the new Gage Realist Lifeline and the Fishman Full Circle pickups. I have found some useful comparisons of their tone, but I would also very much like to know how they compare in terms of raw output when used passively, without a buffer.

I'm not talking about useful volume before feedback. Just passive output.
  2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Kind of hard to say, actually. I'd say they're roughly even, at least on the bass here at the shop. Both pickups are under direct pressure, which normally results in more output compared to a pickup that is "stuck" or clamped on. So in that way, they are in the same ballpark.

But it's kind of like apples and oranges, since the character of the tone is rather different. The FC, IME, has more mid presence, while the LL has more low end girth with a less midd-y character. So the differences in ACTUAL volume (measured on a sound meter) might not necessarily correlate to the PERCEIVED volume, especially once you put it in context with a band and start tweaking EQs to get the tone you like.
  3. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Thanks Mark!
  4. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

I didn't quantitatively measure it when I tried out the LifeLine for the first time, but to my ears, through the same rig that I've been using for years (a Full Circle into an SWR Baby Blue), the LifeLine had a noticeably louder output into the amp.