1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Realist LifeLine

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adagio, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Adagio

Adagio

I was reading my Bass Player Magazine today when I found this David Gage's advertisement about a new piezo pup called the "LifeLine". From the description on the website, it seems to be located in the bridge adjusters area with no mod required. If they come up with a design ala full circle that actually sounds good with arco, I might give it a shot!

https://www.davidgage.com/lifeline.php

Does anybody know more about this?
  2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

It says it is being rolled out at the NAMM show so we'll hear something soon.

...and GAWD is his site SLOW. Wow. I almost gave up.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

I'm wondering if it will require metal adjusters, in order to work properly? One of the reasons that I've never considered a Full Circle, is that I prefer the look, feel, and sound of my Ebony ones. Just a personal preference mind you. The Ehrlund EAP and Pre Amp work so well on my bass, that I'm really not looking at trying something else. That said, Ned Steinberger and David Gage are very smart guys. I don't think that the Sound Clip did all that well, so it's nice that they are still developing other designs. The original Realist was a god send for me when it originally came out.

Ric
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

I would be interested but the arco had better be as good or better than the realist. I am doing about 50/50 pizz/arco these days the realist delivers what I need.
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1. I just can't see going back to a piezo. Still, I'm very interested to hear their new offering.
  6. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Mounted at the adjuster without glue or fasteners, the LifeLine will fit on most bridges without changing a thing.

Hmmm... I wonder if he's got something which just slides in between the unthreaded side of the wheel and the bridge leg/foot. This would be easier to install/remove than the FC and work with any adjuster you want. Pretty cool idea if that's it.
  7. Swing Doom

Swing Doom

I'd really like to give it a try. Why do pickups have to be so expensive? :(
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

That's what it looks like, I was at the shop last Friday and there was an Upton hybrid that had it on. I didn't check it out too closely, and didn't plug it in, I was mostly just hanging out waiting for a repair to get done and talking to Sam. Looks pretty nice though....
  9. Adagio

Adagio

Sweet, that sounds cool! Do you mean that it looked like a piezo film sandwiched between the adjuster and the bridge foot? Well, I guess we're about to find out in a day or so...
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

There's some kind of housing around the element, but basically yes.
  11. jonas

jonas

Disclosures:
    Lando Music (Germany)
    That's exactly what I recently designed and built some months ago. Still a prototype, however. I still work on the details, to make it more rigid. But I already gave it a name: the U-turn ;-)
  12. Adagio

Adagio

I saw a picture on their website, pretty much looking like a prototype to me! Maybe I'm being too superficial but I hope they'll cover that unfinished metal thingy at the adjuster area with something more classy!
  13. jonas

jonas

Disclosures:
    Lando Music (Germany)
    Really amazing, that David Gage and I have been working on more or less exactly the same design principle. However, he was first with launching a product, obviously.
  14. jonas

jonas

Disclosures:
    Lando Music (Germany)
    My "U-Turn" pickup is basically a sandwich of teflon and electret foil which slides between adjuster and bridge. The weak point is wire connection, which can easily get damaged when you turn the adjuster with your fingers. I'm still working on an improvement here …

[​IMG]

David's solution looks much more rigid on the photo. I'm curious to really see (and hear) his design. Soundwise, there will be a difference for sure, since he uses piezos.
  15. Adagio

Adagio

16. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

I'm subscribing to this. Maybe it will be between the FC and Realist? FC clarity and punch but realist arco capabilities?

Hoping it's awesome. New pickups are always welcome for more options.
  17. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Adagio, I think you should purchase first and report back!
  18. Adagio

Adagio

I don't mind being the guinea pig on this one! We'll wait for more details about the price point and such (in March?), but that sounds like a serious option.
  19. Swing Doom

Swing Doom

Hopefully he can redeem himself after that Soundclip. :bag:
  20. Mendry37

Mendry37

Any info on the release date yet? I see its up on the gollihur site but with no date.
    Thanks
    -Chad