1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Realist on Plywood bass thru GkMBE112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassramos, Dec 21, 2013.

1. bassramos

bassramos Supporting Member

Hello all, how many of you have success w the traditional realist on a plywood bass through a GK MBE 112? Am I the only one who gets a God awful feed backy sound? I wishI could make it work!
  2. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

You're talking about the under the bridge foot Realist, yes? I use one of those on my plywood, no serious feedback issues, even when I was still using my GK MB115. What sort of pre-amp are you using?
  3. bassramos

No prreamp just the under bridge realist on englehart. I tried using it at a gig yesterday and it sucked really bad
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Bass Ramos,
    Since the Realist senses vibrations through the instruments top, they sound better on an instrument with a solid wood table. If you didn't already purchase the Realist, I'd look into the Fishman Full Circle. IME it works better with a plywood bass, unless you are going to be doing a lot of arco playing.

Ric
  5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Try the Realist Lifeline which sounds similar to the Full Circle (might be smoother and darker) without the hassle of replacing the adjusters. I never liked having the wire coming out of the FC adjuster. The original Realist never worked well for me on a plywood bass. As Ric stated, it seems to work well on carved and hybrid basses.
  6. Ric Vice

+1 I haven't had any experience, with the Realist Life Line, but it is much simpler to install, then the Full Circle. Since I play arco a great deal, and have wooden adjusters, the Full Circle was never an option for me. It kind of folds under the bow.

Ric
  7. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

Notch filters, a parametric equalizer or a combination of those two would help.

Our upright basses, with their gigantic soundboards, are very susceptible to recirculating hot tones from an amp.
  8. bassramos

I have a Fishman Pro EQ platinum eq which I tried once at a gig and it didnt work so well and I have a source audio Programmable eq which produces a hiss. WHat can I use as an EQ and how should I eq out the feedback? THanks for your help!
  9. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Previously frebassist Supporting Member

Had this same combination, didn't have feedback trouble to speak of, but couldn't get a tone I liked. I switched to the Full Circle a couple of years ago. Not recommending either/or, necessarily.
    No pre necessary with that amp, IME.
    Might consider amp placement if you haven't already. I often turn mine sideways and shoot it across the stage. I've had trouble in funky rooms with crazy overtones, too.
  10. bassramos

Its not so much feedback as it is a boominess/ overtone/new extra note that occurs on certain notes only whilst other notes are normal and even other notes are very faint and dont resonate.
  11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Never used anything but the occasional HPF. Other than the player and physical approach, the most important link in the amplification chain is choosing the right pickup for your bass. Do that and then move to the amp. Otherwise you're fighting an unnecessary battle.
  12. Ric Vice

That's a common occurrence with a Double Bass. One of FDeck's HPF Buffer Pre Amps can go a long way to taming that problem. One thing to note here is that you should listen to your bass, or even do a simple recording of your bass to see if those come out the same way playing it acoustically. We often forget that we're so used to the idiosyncrasies of our own instruments, that we don't hear them when the instrument is un amplified.

Greg's absolutely correct, in recommending that you want to make sure whatever pickup you use, is correctly fitted to the instrument. When I originally purchased the Underwood, Realist, and Upton Revolution Solo, (none of which I currently use), I went to a luthier with experience installing them. It makes a huge difference.
  13. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

I strongly suggest a pre-amp. I use fdeck's HFP-Pre, and I'm very happy with it. Between the phase shift switch and the high-pass filter, it's always taken care of any feedback issues I've had.
  14. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Heartless mercenary, partially redeemed. Supporting Member

Exactly which amp are we taking about? The MB150E? The MB 112?

I used a Kay bass with a copper Realist through a GK MB150S for many years and I was satisfied with the sound. I have different gear now but I missed the little GK and bought another one during the Black Friday sale a few weeks ago.

- Steve
  15. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

IMO/IME...

I think you might be fighting an uphill battle with that combination - GK MB112 + Realist. I found both to be fairly bassy with minimal detail in the middle range. Trying to EQ the mids 'back in' can give you some pretty unpleasant results.
  16. Swing Doom

Swing Doom

I've had great success with a Realist on a plywood so it isn't impossible. Every bass is different though and you honestly just need to play and turn the knobs until the amp sounds like the bass. Not much more advice I can give other than the midrange typically needs to be cut a bit but not drastically.