1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Realist vs Full Circle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Renaud Labelle, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Renaud Labelle

Renaud Labelle

2. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    A pickup positioned in the bridge makes arco playing absolutely horrible.
    I'd say Realist, even if I had it and didn't like it (too thin unless you preamp it). I sold mine when I discovered the GullanskyLab that I use in most "acoustic" gigs (even with arco - although you only get the real sound with a microphone), but I know that my advice must be taken with the due care, being an endorser (see disclosure).
  3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Hyperbole?? :meh:

I've tried both pickups on 3-4 basses over the last few years. On each bass, the Full Circle had more clarity and the Realist sounded warmer. On an old German plywood, the Realist was quite boomy and the Full Circle worked well. I think the Realist is better for arco and may be the better choice on a nice carved bass. The achilles heel of the Full Circle may be a midrange peak that can sound objectionable. It has sounded that way on my basses. Also, I think the Realist is less affected by input impedance at the amp than other pickups, although >1K is better.

I'm very happy with a wood Realist.
  4. Basshilde

Basshilde Supporting Member

Greg, thanks a lot for the info. So far I'm using this for a "pizz." (Singer-songwriter) I'll check out the Gullanskylab. You are the first and only person to mention this one. I may try to borrow one for the gig, and scour around the NAMM show in January, before I lay down the $. So many choices!!
  5. Barcza

Barcza

I made a comparison record, here it is:
  6. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorser Sadowsky string, A-Designs P1,La Bella, Bee Basses,Mike Lull
    I agree with what everyone's said so far. My findings as well though I haven't used the Full Circle in 10 years or on my current bass. 100% I'd agree that the Realist is better for arco. The Realist on my Upton Brescian bass sounds very, very nice. Warm articulate tone but not a lot of highs. It's not a boomy pickup, just warm and natural and good against feedback.
    The final piece of advice to give which was given to me when searching is this: Every pickup will sound differently on different basses. You have to try them all, or at least the top 2-3 you're considering. Send back what you don't like. That's what I did and got a refund. Just remember, when comparing pickups, make sure that you have at least two of them at the same time for comparison. You want to be able to switch back and forth at the same sitting so you can hear the difference between them. It's a must!!!! Then send back the one you don't want.
  7. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Heartless mercenary, partially redeemed. Supporting Member

I'm convinced there's something wrong with my current Realist. I had one on my Kay bass for eight years with no problem, but one I installed on my German hybrid last July now has a low output and midrangey sound, just like the one that came with the bass. I tried repositioning it under the bridge foot, but there was no improvement. I may just chuck it and go for another Full Circle.

- Steve
  8. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorser Sadowsky string, A-Designs P1,La Bella, Bee Basses,Mike Lull

A couple things to share. Realist pickups do have issues over time and need to be replaced. If yours is new, new, then there could be something wrong with it, as in defect. If it's just old and worn from use, then it might need replacing.
    1. Trying putting electrical tape over the sensor. In other words, creating another layer between the pickup and bottom of the foot. Only do this if your Realist is an old, used one. I was given this advice by a well known university jazz prof. It sometimes helps bring back the sound. You can only do this so many times over ten years before they give out.
    2. If that does very little, get a new one.
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

+1 for the realist. Got rid of my FC on my DB several years ago and never looked back. That said,it also depends on the bass. Best to buy both and choose the best sound you get.

If you have a lesser quality bass I'd def try the FC first.
  10. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Heartless mercenary, partially redeemed. Supporting Member

Update: David Gage is going to replace my Realist as it's less than one year old.

- Steve
  11. Swing Doom

Swing Doom

While others may feel differently, I personally believe the Realist is second to none.
  12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

As has been said, it depends on your bass and the sound you want to hear. No pickup is the best for all basses and bassists.
  13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The Gullansky bridge-mounted version looks like a Rev Solo knockoff. I don't suppose it could be sold in the USA without violating Upton's patent.