Realistic Expectations?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

So, I've been working with a guitarist to get some songs written and get more members and get something started. Yes, another start up project. :meh:

I'm liking what we have so far, and think that it would be fun to play live and all that. I play drums, intermadiate at best, and the guitarist does too. He's pretty good. We are going to be looking for dummers here in a little bit and. We've been talking, saying that new drummer needs to be better than we are. For me, that's no problem. I'm not all that great, but I don't know about finding someone better than he is.

Is it unrealistic to expect that other members in your band should be better at their instruments than you are? I mean, if your playing your second (or third) instrument, you should expect to be playing with lesser musicians if you yourself are a lesser player with that instrument too. Right?

I don't want to just be a band that records and doesn't play shows. No way. Maybe I'd have to bite the bullet? Problem is, we're trying to write stuff that isn't quite mainstream, so finding a group of good musicians could be problematic.

That came off pretty high and mighty. I'm not saying that I'm Awesome! in any way, I just look at things differently and would need members that could do the same.
  2. jungleheat

jungleheat

How good IS this guy at drums? Is he a great drummer, or just a pretty good drummer for a guitar player?

It is logical that the best person on a given instrument in a band should be the one playing that instrument, but it's still not a hard and fast rule. And sometimes a player who isn't as good can still "fit better", for instance if the better person was just shredding all over the place or specialized in a much different style.

Another thing to look at, is does the guitar player actually WANT to play drums for shows? If not, then it doesn't matter how good he is. It's all theoretical anyway.

Anyway, the real answer is the drummer needs to be as good as he needs to be to play the material. It doesn't matter at all if that makes him better or worse than either of you.
  3. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

No. Those playing instruments don't HAVE to be better than others not playing those instruments. They just need to be able to play well, serve the song and fit the bands dynamic.

It more comes down to how the "better players" manage around someone not being as good as they are (or perceive themselves to be) on an instrument they're not playing, but have vision for.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I expect everyone I play with to be better than me at ALL instruments.

So far, I haven't had much trouble with that.
  5. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

He's pretty good. Not the best I've ever jammed with, but probably close. I think that he would really only be interested in playing drums for a demo to find new members. I don't have the best chops on drums, but I am able to play odd times and changes times and still keep it up to what I would consider 'par' as far as my abilities are concerned.

It's just been something that we've been talking about. We more or less just know what we want. Someone who can play what we're writing. That's what it really comes down to. I know my ideas when it comes to drums are super basic other than playing around with timing. So I would hope that we'd be able to find someone with more creativity than I would be able to provide.

Do any of you have band member that can play bass better than you?
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I've found that band members are like water in that water tends to seek it's own level.

I also that the fact that you play other instruments almost certainly makes you a better musician. Musicianship is a different talent then technique, and good musicians recognize that. As such, you're probably a better musician then you realize. For me, good musicianship is worth more then technical prowess.

In any event, it's probably good and reasonable that you'd look for a better drummer technically then you are.

What's wrong with having the other singer play drums instead of finding a new drummer? A decent guitarist is probably easier to come by then a decent drummer.
  7. xgator4u

xgator4u

THIS.
  8. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

I agree with that whole-heartedly. Guitarists are a dime a dozen. Problem is, Guitarist wants to play the stuff he's written. Unless we can find two guitarists that would be willing to play a drummers songs. But I find that doubtful at best. Unless we fall into a ton of money to pay people to play what we want them to. I'm confident that we will be able to find a second guitarist that would compliment our sound while bringing their own styles too.

I guess it's the mulit-instrumentalist's mindset that wants to play with others who are more advanced than they are. Yeah, we can play more than one instruments, but I know that neither of us are the best there is. Maybe playing a bunch of instruments is a curse in this aspect. Aside from just letting go and taking whatever you can get.