1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Really don't want to dig through the stickies...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I'm going to re-pickup my FrankenJazz w the Precision and Jazz pickups. I've got Duncans that I think are at least 20 years old, I think the bridge is a quarter pounder. Due to a crazy a-- past I don't even remember when I put this thing together, all I know I did a very good job despite the circumstances (past lifestyle), and it's the best bass I've ever had, and I've had a lot.

I think I'm going to get it wired master, blend & tone (maybe tonestyler). The Precision pickup isn't thick enough. There wasn't blogs and databases like this back then so my train of thought was a Duncan HAS to be better because it's a Duncan...

I was pointed into a '62 or Lollar direction for the neck. I want the deep traditional sound...and may keep the Quarter pounder on the bridge, or replace that with a Antiquity II.

But with all the time it took me to type this, maybe I should have looked at the stickies.

2. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Doubt you will get much help with that approach.

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

You didn't ask a question... So this is a blog post about how you don't want to read the stickies to inform yourself.

?

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

He wants a P pickup that's thicker than whatever he has now.

Check out the SD SPB-2, it's got a pretty fat sound. I like it more than the Fender 62' pickup actually.

Another option would be to replace the full set with a matched pair. You'll probably get a better result. I really like the DiMarzio Model P / Model J set. The Model P is my favorite P pickup so far.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Or at least title your thread with the actual question or subject:rollno:

7. 1bassleft

1bassleft

+1 to considering the respective outputs. If you have a q-pounder J bridge, then a wimpy P may struggle to be heard over it. An Antiquity will change that approach. SD have a table for all of their pups with a descn of the type of sound (eg, "classic tones with pronounced mids", a 0-10 rating of the BMT response and a symbol indicating particularly hot output or whatever. The Seymour site might be a good place to start - quicker than the stickies, even.

8. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Media:
    Get nordstrands

And plan or at least read/edit your posts ;)

9. Diogenes

Diogenes

+1. I have the SPB-2 in my frankenbass and it's very hot... my amps tend to clip at a lower gain setting than when using a bass with either the SPB-1 and SPB-3 P-bass pickups. IMO the highs are still clean and loud, just not as shrill... the mids and lows are thick and round. When paired with even a QP J pickup I think the SPB-2's presence would be more pronounced than the QP J's.

10. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Sorry guys...just trying to get some opinions.

11. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I am a big fan of Lindy Fralin pickups and he has a matched PJ set. They are certainly expensive (a few bucks more than Lollar and Nordstrand but much more than Fender or DiMarzio) but they have a wonderful sound and the slightly overwound jazz pickup matches nicely with the P.

12. Bob Lo

Bob Lo Supporting Member

If you're looking for something fat to match the qtr. pounder bridge why not a qtr. pounder "P" for the neck.Its high output and very fat.It was a little too much for me.I replaced one with a Curtis Novak Charlie Christian style PU that I really like.Nice smooth growl.PM me,that 1/4 pounder is just sitting on the shelf.

13. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Well, if you are not liking how "thin" the neck is, my only thought is that going from a QP to an Antiquity in the bridge is going to be thinner. So you may want to concentrate on the neck and leave the bridge as is.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Hey Bob you have one also? I keep thinking I'm the only one with the Charlie's love them in one of my P's I also agree about your opinion on the qtr pounder I have one in my Hoppus and to me it sounds too harsh may replace it with another Charlie.

15. Bob Lo

Bob Lo Supporting Member

I put it in a P with flats that I use mostly for a blues band I play with.After taking out the original MIM,I tried a model P,then the 1/4 pounder before trying the C.C. model from Curtis Novak .Its very smooth with a growl when you dig in that I really love.For now its going to stay.How do you like yours?