Really good video game basslines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I recently stumbled upon the "Guile's theme goes with everything" phenomenon, an example of which can be found here: Guile Theme goes with everything (Lord of the Rings) - YouTube

The bassline of the song is simply awesome to hear, in my opinion. Anybody know of other good ones?

Games that were in Rock Band/Guitar Hero/etc. do not qualify. :D
  2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I've always liked the basslines to In Amber Clad and A Walk in the Woods off the Halo soundtracks. The Super Meat Boy world map theme also has a really cool bassline.
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
  4. Hamlet7768

Reviving my own thread for a piece I found with a really simple but very well...syncopated?—bass line, from Fire Emblem 7's "Everything into the Dark". Song here:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Journey55

Journey55

Might be childish but the bassline for the Team Aqua/Magma Leader from pokemon emerald/ruby/sapphire music songs pretty damn sweet
  7. Tupac

Tupac

Oh geez... I quit video games when I picked up bass. I used to play so much and I can't name any.
  8. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sonic Adventure immediately comes to mind. Almost every song from that game had a fantastic bassline.
  9. Cosmeticplagues

Cosmeticplagues

The whole Bully soundtrack seems to revolve around bass. The "Walk Theme" has one of the most addicting basslines I've ever heard.
  10. Hamlet7768

Sonic Adventure 2 as well. I'm still annoyed that I can't slap, because I love the City Escape theme.
  11. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

The Red Dead Redemption, bass-line driven game music is awesome...
  13. El-Bob

El-Bob

Seriously, any good RPG game, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, the 'Tales' series... the Pokemon series, etc. is gonna have sweet music, and some killer bass lines.

Anything Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda worked on is great as well... check out the soundtracks from Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 7.

Finally, all of the old Megaman/Megaman X games have awesome music with some sweet bass parts.

Edit: Here's some links.

Chrono Trigger battle theme:
    He_Who_Hops likes this.
  14. El-Bob

El-Bob

15. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Yeah, that soundtrack had a lot of really cool bass themes. Tekken 3 and Splinter Cell also had a lot of interesting bass featured in their soundtracks.
  16. AllFourths

AllFourths

Holy **** all the Mario basslines are unbelievable. Seriously chopsy, chromatic-ass jazz **** all over the place. My roommate was playing Super Mario Sunshine recently and everytime I walked by I thought to myself "Holy **** that's a sick ****ing bassline right there!"
  17. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Donkey kong country
  18. hags2k

hags2k

Here's one I bet hardly anyone here has heard - the soundtrack from the Mac version of Descent! The PC version's soundtrack was not nearly as good.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nqEmVd2qDBc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnqEmVd2qDBc

This is the first level, but all the tracks are very cool. Funky slap under electronic rock. I think the rest of the tracks are on YouTube, just make sure to get the Mac versions.

Btw, someone else mentioned Yasunori Mitsuda - there is some great stuff on the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross soundtracks. Just fantastic music. I think Robo's Theme from Chrono Trigger might be my favorite.
  19. hags2k

hags2k

Martin O'Donnell is just incredible. The soundtrack is half the reason I played Halo. I bought the anniversary edition of Halo partly because the soundtracks was higher-fidelity. I was disappointed when I realized he hadn't done the soundtrack for Halo 4.
  20. FloatingHogs

FloatingHogs

Wasn't Jerry was a Racecar Driver in one of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games? :p
    the general likes this.
  21. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Ah, someone with taste ;) if you like the Tales soundtracks, any other music done by Motoi Sakuraba is just as awesome... Star Ocean and the Valkyrie Profile series come to mind, damn thems some unplayable basslines! And still they got dudes actually playing that stuff in studio and on stage. I can barely fathom the chops it must take to play the battle themes, especially of boss battles, holy smokes.